Valued Contributor

Re: "Shrimp Orzo with Feta"

[ Edited ]

deleted by poster

Respected Contributor

It is truly delicious, easy to make, and I hope you enjoy it SurfkSmiley Happy.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have a similar recipe that I got eons ago from 'Cooking Light Magazine'.   It is so very good.  

The only differences that come to mind, without looking at my recipe, is that mine also has artichoke hearts in it and IIRC you do most of the cooking in one of those 'cooking bags'.     It's a stunning recipe and I've enjoyed it for years.

Your "lighter" version sounds great!!  Maybe if you found your recipe, you could post it for all of us!

Honored Contributor

Re: "Shrimp Orzo with Feta"

[ Edited ]

Hi GK, et al!

Well, I don't know if it is lighter than Adore's recipe.   It's just very similar and when I saw this thread title I had fond memories of this one which is so very similar.     Anyway, here it is for anybody who might like to see it - (hopefully it copies ok from my computer.   If not I'll type it out).

Basil Shrimp with Feta and Orzo

Ingredients:

• 1 regular-size foil oven bag
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
  • 2 tsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup diced tomato
  • 3/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup (2oz) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450F.

Coat inside of oven bag with cooking spray. Place bag on lg shallow baking pan.

Cook the pasta in boiling water 5 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place pasta in a large bowl. Stir in 1 tsp oil and next 7 ingredients (1 tsp oil through pepper). Place orzo mixture in prepared oven bag. Combine shrimp and basil. Arrange shrimp mixture on orzo mixture. Fold edge of bag over to seal. Bake at 450F for 25 minutes or until shrimp are done. Cut open bag with sharp knife and peel back foil. Drizzle with 1tsp oil.

Nutritional Info:
calories: 498. carbs: 52.7g. cholesterol: 219. fat: 14.4g. sodium: 817mg. protein: 38.8g. calcium: 258mg. iron: 6.5mg. fiber: 3-4g.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt  I made your variation for dinner last night.  With some garlic bread and a bottle of chilled Sauvignon Blanc, it was a tasty Summer meal. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Hey Mrs G!   Imagine seeing this thread from so long ago again.    I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe.    It's one of my fav from Cooking Light, many years ago.   I haven't made it in so long - I need to again!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt  I used to have a Cooking Light subscription and did not know this recipe was already posted in the Recipes forum when I came here last night to share it.  Just before clicking, "Post," I decided to check whether it already existed, and lo and behold, found this thread.    

Your version is the one I had used, but, without needing to heat the oven to 450º,  AdoreQVC's would certainly make for a cooler kitchen.  Either way, though, it's a good recipe worth bringing into the light again.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@adoreqvc, welcome back! I have missed you! Have you been on a travel jaunt????

I love your recipe-most definitely Diabetic friendly as most Mediterranean recipes are!

Welcome home!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2