Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever heard of a recipe for Pup Tent.? My Dad used to make this mainly in the summer and it was so good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-You In Advance.It was like a thin meatless vegetable soup/stew.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou  Maybe if you describe what it is someone might know it by another name.  

Honored Contributor

Googled the name for a recipe and  one came up.  But it also showed a mix to snack on.  Was it a pie?  You can Google it by the name.

Honored Contributor

I googled Pup Tent recipes and this is what came up.

Pup Tent Pie
1/2 lb. sliced hot dogs
15 oz pork 'N' beans
8 oz tomato sauce
3 T. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. water
3 T. melted butter or maragine

Stir hot dogs, pork 'n' beans, tomato sauce and brown sugar in a 9 inch pan until mixed then bake at 450� for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Stir flour, baking powder, salt, water and maragine in a medium bowl until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto hot dog mixture and bake at 450� for 15 to 20 minutes or until dumplings are golden brown.

Doesn't sound like an Old Hungarian Recipe more like a kids camping recipe.

Respected Contributor

It had bacon, tomato's, hot fresh peppers from the garden and when finished you served it over a fried egg.But it seems like it had more ingredients in it , maybe it was a old army recipe the more I think about it. It can also have mild light green peppers.My Dad is deceased now, so if there is something that you like in a recipe get if now from the person, so sad I have a recipe that I wished I could have gotten from my Grandma for ministrorni soup but I was real little and you don't think of things like that when your really young.But I am going to try to find time and see if I can work these recipe's out by trial and error.

Respected Contributor

No it is a soup/vegetable stew. On the thin side .

Respected Contributor

This recipe isn't like what I am talking about, but yours sounds really good, I will try it.Thank-You.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

This recipe isn't like what I am talking about, but yours sounds really good, I will try it.Thank-You.

I printed it out myself.  Sounds like a great one to have on Labor Day with all the other items.  Kids big and small love franks n beans.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

No it is a soup/vegetable stew. On the thin side .

@BeccaLoudoes this sound like maybe what you are looking for?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/190100/porkolt-hungarian-stew-made-with-pork/

Esteemed Contributor

This is from the old military recipes..amounts for troops

* * * BEEF SOUP * * *

Use 90 pounds of soup meat (as much bone as possible); let simmer for two hours, then remove meat and add vegetables as follows: One quart of barley, 6 pounds of carrots, 3 pounds of onions, 2 pounds of turnips (the vegetables having been cleaned and cut in strips), and allow the soup to boil for one hour. Season with pepper, salt, cloves, and spices; mix flour and water to the consistency of a sirup and stir in, while the soup is boiling, a sufficient quantity to thicken it. After boiling for ten minutes longer the soup is ready to serve. After the beef is removed it should be kept hot until served.