Honored Contributor

"Cheers! 11 Boozy Desserts You Need To Make"

These look delicious!  A presentation from HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-segal/cheers-11-boozy-desserts_b_9677218.html

2016-04-13-1460514882-8907839-TresLechesCake.jpg

Popular in Latin America, Tres Leches Cake is a light and fluffy cake soaked with a mixture of three milks. In this version, rum is added to the soaking liquid and a simple rum-spiked dulce de leche glaze covers the cake.

2016-04-16-1460804384-7896370-chocolatebreadpudding.jpg

Dark chocolate bread pudding with bourbon.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Cheers! 11 Boozy Desserts You Need To Make"

Oh my goodness @Noel7, that dark chocolate bread pudding looks incredible . . . thank you so much for this post as I just may try my hand at desserts!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

These recipes are SO up my alley!

Thank you, @Noel7

for sharing this link!

I am so glad I found it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK Pal's O' Mine:

Thanks for the linkSmiley Happy.

Also a real favorite of ours is Bachelor's Jam which is  also known as Officer's Jam.

It is a real boozt dessertSmiley Happy.

It is layered seasonal fresh fruit in sugar, topped with 80 proof booze.

This jam can last indefinitely if you continue to layer with seasonal fruits, more sugar, and booze.

Below are some good recipes we use, and there are many others to also try, along with trying different seasonal fruits....and different 80 proof spirits.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/bachelors-jam

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/case-study-bachelors-jam/?_r=0

http://thechalkboardmag.com/summer-hoarders-how-to-make-bachelors-jam

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/bachelors-jam-20140324-35dbf.html

You can add this jam directly to your smoothies, top yogurt, ice cream, puddings, and loaf cake with it, add it to trifles, and whatever else you enjoy....The list is endless according to your personal tastes....so experiment.

Enjoy.....and it is 80 proof so it is potent, therefore a little goes a long waySmiley Happy.Smiley Happy.Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc wrote:

OK Pal's O' Mine:

Thanks for the linkSmiley Happy.

Also a real favorite of ours is Bachelor's Jam which is  also known as Officer's Jam.

It is layered seasonal fresh fruit in sugar, topped with 80 proof booze.

This jam can last indefinitely if you continue to layer with seasonal fruits, more sugar, and booze.

Below are some good recipes we use, and there are many others to also try, along with trying different seasonal fruits....and different 80 proof spirits.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/bachelors-jam

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/case-study-bachelors-jam/?_r=0

http://thechalkboardmag.com/summer-hoarders-how-to-make-bachelors-jam

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/bachelors-jam-20140324-35dbf.html

You can add this jam directly to your smoothies, top yogurt, ice cream, puddings, and loaf cake with it, add it to trifles, and whatever else you enjoy....The list is endless according to your personal tastes....so experiment.

Enjoy.....and it is 80 proof so it is potent, therefore a little goes a long waySmiley Happy.Smiley Happy.Smiley Happy.

Hi @adoreqvc  Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for telling me about this "Jam" and providing recipes!  I've never heard about it and I especially enjoyed reading the Time article explaining the method and more.

I've saved the how-tos.  Time recommends an opaque crock, is that what you use?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi sweet Noel7,

You're most welcome dear friend...

Now to answer your question.....

I have my beloved deceased Mom's non reactive one gallon earthenware crock which I use, and it does not contain lead. It has a cover which has that silicone seal so nothing can get into it. (I do replace the silicone seal but it takes year to have to replace it).

Noel7, I have no idea what your budget is, but I must say to buy crocks and especially earthenware non reactive crocks and seperate lids, or as a set with a lid they are really expensive, so you still have a choice and can buy a quart mason jar instead.

You will also need to buy the plastic screw on caps, and the silicone seals you place into the plastic screw on cap, so it will make an air tight seal and not leak.

(Still all of these are separate purchases, until you already have some of these supplies).

For using a crock wash it inside and outside very well in hot soapy water, then let it dry naturally on a towel so air circulates inside.

I keep my earthenware crock on my counter top but I place a silicone trivet underneath it, and then place it into a stainless steel deep bowl, just in case it makes a hair line crack and begins to leak.

(One never knows with any type of crock, especailly breakable crocks as they can become damaged from old age, carelessness, or just because it happens even if you are very careful).

Just remember  if you choose to use a mason glass quart jar you must wash in soapy hot water and also sterilize the mason jar/s in slow simmering boiling water before you use them.

BTW the plastic wide mouth lids fit on any size wide mouth glass mason jars.

(Noel7 do not confuse wide mouth with regular mouth mason jars because they are not the same size).

Wide mouth items allow larger foods to go into the jar/s and you can really get your hand inside to get foods out, or to wash them well by hand if need be, whereas regular mouth mason jars have a much smaller jar mouth size opening.

That being said I only use wide mouth mason jars in various sizes of volume..... like wide mouth jelly jars, 1/2 pint jars, pint jars, pint & 1/2 jars and quart jars.  Those are all of the wide mouth jar sizes I really prefer for so many foods I can for my food storange pantry area,  and I also love those screw on caps with silicone seals.

Once you open a mason jar and begin enjoying its contents you put those caps and seal on, and you can re-use it easily again and again.

Also I prefer not to use the lid seal that comes with the mason jar since it has already been used when the shipper screwed the metal rim over it, so if oyu try to re-use the metal lid with the round built in silicone seal your seal may not happen or may come undone when you store your item for future use.

Now I only now water bath and pressure steam can with Tattler EZ seal lids and I use any wide mouth mason jar and metal ring to hold the Taller lids in place, but for the Bachelor's Jam Recipe the plastic screw cap lid and silicone seal I listed below, are your safest best bet.

You can use a crock or any quart mason jar/2 if you prefer to store in glass, but you have to wash mason jars well with hot water and dish liquid, rise very well, then sterilize for 15 minutes in a large stock pot on your stove. (You add water to completely fill and cover the jars  then bring slowly to a boil and then simmer boil gently for 15  minutes to completely sterilize the jar/s.)

Then place jar/s on a very soft towel folded in half to offer a good soft cushion and cover the mason jars carefully with a very clean hot water washed kitchen towel to avoid temperature change shock, or direct drafts, or the mason jars can crack unexpectedly.   

Leave the mason jars to throoughly cool off to room temperature, and make sure they have dried well, then ladle the room temperature Bachelor's Jam into the room temp mason quart jar/s, or pass ithe jar/s through your dishwasher, and if you have a steam function on the dishwasher use it. Also let them cool off completely before filling with the Bachelor's Jam, and placing the silicone seal into the plastic crew lid cap and then screwing the lid down so it gets that airtight seal.

About the crock....

I use the cover which came with my Mom's crock, but you can just buy plastic screw on lids which are great to use with Bachelor's Jam in Ball glass quart mason jars and you will also need to purchase the silicone seals which provide a leak proof airt ight seal.

You keep the Bachelor's Jam in a dark place so it is not in any heat or light, but if you use a crock if you prefer.  You can cover the crock and leave it on the counter if you prefer. Just may sure your cover is air tight as you do not want any unwanted surprises in your Bachelor's Jam.

Remember Noel7, this does not ever have to be refrigerated at all.

As you use it keep adding layers of fruits with sugar and more booze to cover it and enjoy......it indefinitely.

Great over ice cream, yogurt, sliced loaf cakes, baked goods, and anything else you prefer.

I have made many different flavors and fruits of Bachelor's Jam through decades, and my absolute favorite is raspberries,  strawberries, and blackberries all in the same jar. Layers of each fruit, sugar etc. Then tipped with your choice of 80 proof spirits. (Must be at least 80 proof or more, never less % proof). . The spirits take on the beautiful color of these fruits, and that jam is not only gorgeous but tastes out of this world delicious.

Remember it is 80 proof liquor so don't drive if you eat a lot of this....it can hit you when you least expect!!!

If you have other questions Noel7 please just ask, and I will keep checking back, and if you need anymore help when you make this jam page me on the recipe bb, and I will reply.

Enclosing my blessings and hugs as usual, and Noel7....Enjoy!!!

Below are the links I promised for you....

For Quart Mason Jars...

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Jar-Lid-Band-Color/dp/B00XVB59OW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461448570&sr=8-...

----------------------------------------------------------

For Mason Quart Jar Screw On Reusable Plastic Lids.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSN3L2/ref=psdc_2237240011_t2_B013J5X3Y2

---------------------------------------------------------

For Mason Jar Plastic Quart Reusable Silicone Lid Seals

You  press down in place 1 silicone seal directly into the plastic screw on jar cap to make a non leaking air tight seal....

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Sealing-Rings-Gaskets-Mason/dp/B012UP6X9O/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UT...

I hope this helps you make a purchase decison easier Noel7,  but you can also check around, and see if there is a container you would prefer to use other than these suggestionsSmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc

You are always a font of information, my friend Smiley Happy

I'm copying your last post to save for reference and I think you!

I'm calling today Retro Sunday, I'm making a tuna noodle casserole tonight, recipe from my favorite healthy food blogger, skinnytaste.com .

It's nice and sunny here without being overly warm.  I cannot take the heat because of Lupus so I may not be able to do many casseroles in the coming months.  Our local weather has changed so much and we rarely see the fog anymore.

Hope all is well with you and yours Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Dear Noel7,

I am glad you read my last reply, and will save it.

I am so sad you have Lupus.

Unfortunately life is so painful and complicated, especially when we have illnesses which Medicine and Science cannot yet eradicate.........My prayers are with you my dear friend, and also with everyone that soon cures will be found......"So please have hope, and hang in there".  

Your casseroles should be fine and delicious, and you know many you can freeze for additional meals, so just space yourself slowly.

Noel7 I too have a good friends who unfortunately also have Lupus and can't stand to cook for long periods of time by their stoves, so they asked for my suggestions... and I helped them research other safe cooking methods, since a few friends with Lupus who have no Internet access expertise.

In case this also interests you Noel7.... I have listed below some other cooking methods where you can sit at a table, and use them to cook and prepare all types of delicious meals.

Electric Pressure Cookers:

Regular pressure cookers are wonderful, and I have the Instant Pot from Amazon.com which comes in 6 and newest 8 quart size. I first purchased the smaller and recently purchased the 8 quart. I highly recommend them.  The Instant Pot comes with an all ss inner pot, so no brown gunk ever flakes off and into your food.

(I always spray the stainless steel Instant Pot inner pot with some pan original cooking spray, so nothing can stick. to it).

I highly recommend the Instant Pot pressure cooker which is electric if you do not have an electric pressure cooker, and it has safeguards built in so it will new explode like the old time pressure cookers of yester year.

Electric Portable Induction and portable electric burner cook tops:

These are 2 other cooking methods for many who cannot stand for long periods of time or are confined to a wheelchair, and they are portable electric induction cooking, and portable electric burner cooking.

All can be done at your table not standing.

Induction Cooking:

For using induction portable cook tops your cooking pots must all be magnetic, so test them to see if a magnet holds firmly on to the bottom of your pots...if yes then they can be used for induction cooking. These do run on 100 voltage.

Electric Portable Stove Top Burners:

These are not electric coils but a smooth top surface...

You need a minimum of at least 1500 watts and they run on 110 voltage.  All types of cooking pots can work on these types of burners, but read consumer reviews on Amazon before purchasing the item, to get the best one with great reviews.

I hope this information may make it easier for you, if not I tried my best and in any event Noel7 we will QVC cyber chat again soon.

I will check back to see when you reply to this thread.

(Please do reply whenever you feel up to it, and of course any other questions Noel7, just ask meSmiley Happy.

Have a good night, sweet dreams, God Bless.........and also included are our dual blessings, and many cyber hugs tooSmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc  You are such a nice friend to have Heart

mtc gave me so much information and thumbs up about a pressure cooker a few months ago, I got one from QVC days later when it was a special.  The 6 qt.  I've used it quite a few times and we've really enjoyed it.  Since then, I've heard about the Instapot and if I have any trouble with this one, I'm going to get the Instapot.

I also bought the mini cooker from the woman chef on the other channel.  I can't think of her name, Laura?  I like that, too.  So easy to make rice and noodles.  And I've done a few omelet bakes for DH and I at lunch.

I haven't heard of the others you've mentioned, but one sounds functionally like an electric skillet, which I am looking into. 

DH does the prep, cutting things up, and I like to make enough for leftovers. 

We have several take-out and delivery places which are great back-ups.  One in particular does wonderful bok choy and green beans.  If I really don't feel well, I pair those veg with a rotisserie chicken and we're set for two days.

Thank you for the suggestions, my friend Smiley Happy  And hugs to you (((( adore ))))

Respected Contributor

Hi Noel7,

I so enjoy you too sweetie, and am glad we are good QVC palsSmiley Happy.

I love mtc too, we also always help each other!

I forgot to say that the Instant Pot also has a slow cooker function. I went to bed and remembered thatSmiley Happy.

An electric skillet would be wonderful too, but do try and find one with which is all stainless steel inside and outside,  and not teflon.

That brown junk wears off eventually, and I bought ceramic at the insistence of a friend, and do not care for that either as that even scratches no matter what type of utensils I used inside of it, and I mostly use bamboo, or heavy coated non stick utensils, which never scratch my other pans.

I looked for you and here is a link for all stainless steel  skillets, but read all the reviews before buying.......Some may last and be great, while others do not as is with all cooking products.

http://www.bhg.com/shop/kitchen/stainless-steel-electric-skillets-s.html

Also Noel7 here is a tip:

If you can do purchase in person, or on line at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Reason is no matter how much time passes anything you buy that has a problem BB&B will refund you in full of what you paid if you have a copy of your BB&B paid receipt, or if no receipt they will give you a store credit to buy items in their store.

(That is great customer service and they always stand behind their store policy.)

I purchase from them on line all the time for that return/full refund policy. 

You can return the item to them in person, or in your delivery package when you order on line from them, they always include a prepaid return shipping label so you can always return it as defective, and they will refund you back to your original method of payment if you include a copy of your paid receipt. 

If you no longer have the BB&B paid receipt they will credit you with a store merchandise credit instead, to use that credit and buy items from their store either in person or on their Internet web site.

(I always call them so they can make a notation that I will be returning an item using their prepaid return shipping label.)

I always keep all packaging and use it to make the return if need be.

If it is a  UPS shipping return prepaid label I hand the package it to my UPS driver, or Fed Ex, or whomever it is. They can tell you who they use for on line returns when you call them, and the driver must scan you package in on his gizmo in front of you, so you know it was scanned and do not get ripped off, so ask them to scan it in and watch that they do.

(They will pass their electronic brown gizmo across the BB&B return shipping label, and you will see the lazer and hear when they scan the label information in).

Make sure you keep your xerox copy of the return prepaid  BB&B shipping label, and check the track # on line with the carrier who picked up the item, to see when BB&B received it........then shortly afterwards expect an email from them when they process the return back to your original method of payment, or if you return your item in person, BB&B will give you your store credit in your hand, so you can buy something else in the store.

Again hold all the paperwork because anytime you are dissatisfied with an item you can always return it for the full refund or store credit.

Also their customer service is exceptional. so I thought I would pass that on to you, and some of those stainless steel electric fry pans are sold by BB&B in the link above I includedSmiley Happy.

About your mini cooker, glad that works out for you. I saw that presentation from Lorena Garcia when it was a Today's SpecialSmiley Happy. It is just really too small for us or I would have bought it too.

Look into the others I mentioned when you have time and keep for future reference.

My hubby is fabulous in the kitchen, just like yours.

Being Greek American our Parents had the same way of training all the kids in the family to know it all in case they remained single... Even ensuring the boys knew how to do all housekeeping, shop wisely, cook, bake, host parties, and BBQ's, and my Brother and Husband know how to sew anything by hand.

(My Brother was making full breakfasts on Saturday for all of us at the age of 7 and they were delicious!!  Bacon, fried eggs, buttered toast, coffee, or tea, with  fresh squeezed OJ.....and on Sundays, he made Pancakes with the works. I have great memories of my dear brother before I lost him....Unfortunately he was captured and held and tortured in a Vietnamese POW camp for over 2 years, and finally tortured to death right before our guys went in and found some survivors.. I really miss him a lot!!! Now it is just Hubby and me.....all my family has passed, but I thank God for Hubby every second of every day.

Hubby always does all prep and many times I get a break and he shoos me out of the kitchen, and says  go Internet shopping, or do something fun with your Internet pals while I whip something good up for us to eat.

It usually is something delicious, and he also cooks like I do, and prepares foods from different cuisines.

(Seems we both really lucked out and have great husbands for many reasons Noel7Smiley Happy.

We also love Chinese food, and almost everything else that delivers to the house. Many times we don't want to venture out, and just want to eat well and lounge around, enjoying the day and each otherSmiley Happy.

I hope the link above works out with your next BB&B purchase, and btw their Internet web site at bedbathandbeyond.com is loaded with goodiesSmiley Happy.

Have a lovely day, happy shopping, good eating.....and please know I so do enjoy very much, our QVC cyber chats).