1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup whole milk

1/4 cup low fat buttermilk

3 Tbsp. lemon juice

2 Tbsp. white vinegar

2 Tbsp. grated onion

1/2  tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. white pepper

In a large bowl toss cabbage and carrot together.  In a medium bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the cabbage and carrot mixture and stir well to combine.  Taste for seasoning. Best eaten within 8 hrs.  Makes 8 cups.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Best Cole Slaw on The Planet", says one fan

@aroc3435  Thank you so much!  This is very similar to one that I have been making recently.  Got it off of FB.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl   No problem.  As mentioned, it is quite similar to KFC's copycat recipe which is still available in Q's recipe archives.  That one features tarragon vinegar as one of the secret ingredients and salad dressing, i.e. Miracle Whip, I think.  I use real mayo instead but I do use the tarragon vinegar; it does add a special something.

I use the KFC one exclusively since I first found it here.  I like KFC's finely chopped texture and to mimic it I pulse the cabbage I slice in my Vitamix to get the right cut.

I am going to try this one out--with a shout out of thanks to @novamc1 for posting this.

The article mentioned that the executive chef said his recipe was reminiscent of slaws he remembered from his New England boyhood that he wanted to share with folks in Atlanta.

Cheers,

aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435  I have never used tarragon vinegar, but it is simple to make.  I usually use tarragon in scrambled eggs.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

DH and I are both a little picky about our cole slaw.  It's amazing how some served in restaurants can be so mediocre or just weird.

My favorite DIY cole slaw so far contains  chopped cabbage, grated carrot, a liberal dose of refrigerated Marie's Cole Slaw Dressing, with some extra celery seed added from my own pantry.

Then refrigerate overnight or for at least several hours before serving. No other embellishments necessary.

I used to make my own slaw dressing.  Decided it wasn't worth the trouble, but willing to give this "best on planet" a try.

Respected Contributor

Got it saved....thanks for this recipe...I do love coleslaw!

Honored Contributor

Here's one we like!

Hudson’s Seven-Day Slaw

Shred:

• 1 whole cabbage
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 green bell pepper

Bring just to a boil:

• 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
  • salt and pepper

Pour the hot liquid over the cabbage and refrigerate. It’s ready to eat when it cools.