Respected Contributor

Re: question and a comment about baking a cake

@kittyloo  @RedTop RedTop is correct I think about overmxing.

I thought @Sooner 's idea was a good one too.  I think being impatient and not letting a cake cool long enough could make it crumbly.

I only use the old regular aluminum type pans for baking and always grease and flour or just grease and use parchment.

Have used non-stick for baking but never cared for the results.  Plus so many "don't do this or that with them" and "yes you must use spray" or "no don't use oil, butter, ruins the non-stick properties."

I don't even like non stick for regular cooking.  I use stainless steel, cast iron, or enameled cast iron.  My significant other likes non-stick for eggs so we have a set of two fry pans for him.

Interesting that what we learned in school is now so wrong.  Sigh.  But I'm willing to learn new tricks so next time I use a cake mix with oil I'll try it the new way and see what happens.

Honored Contributor

If this thing doesn't work out, keep some whipping cream or topping on hand, or ice cream and voila!  Parfaits!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

On the Betty Crocker website, there's a page to troubleshoot your baking.

I generally go by the directions on the recipe on how to prepare the pan.

If in doubt, I grease & flour the bottom, sometimes use parchment paper, and only grease the sides.

You've been baking longer than DD, go with what you know.

Honored Contributor

I don't always grease the pan. IMO it makes a difference on the bakeware being used.

QVC Customer Care

I used to to grease and flour.. but nowadays just find myself spraying the pan and it turns our fine.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't always grease the pan. IMO it makes a difference on the bakeware being used.

I bake pound cakes often

If I don't grease the sides, they don't rise.

They still taste good and look OK, if you don't know any better.

Trusted Contributor

i buy a professional release spray and it works wondes nothing i bake ever stick to the pan.  i have found that you have to wait about 10 to 12 minutes beforeyou try to take the cake from the pan.  if you wait any longer it will stick because the sugars have caramelized and that makes it stick.