Honored Contributor

old fashion chicken and noodles

[ Edited ]

I can't make dumplings,so  i would like to make chicken,and noodles,but want a deep ,rich broth.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: old fashion chicken and noodles

@goldensrbest

Place a whole chicken and whole onion in a large pot, cover with water, cover pot, I leave a bit ajar so  soup doesn't spill over, and bring to a boil.  Lower flame to medium low.  After an hour or two, add a few peeled parsnips and maybe a little turnip.  Cook for a while and add a lot of carrots for sweetness and celery.  Cook a half hour.  Add a bunch of parsley and most important a whole bunch of dill.  Cook for five minutes.  Skim if you wish.  Remove greens if you wish.

That's the basic recipe.  It's good.  Add whatever you want!  If your chicken is not a kosher one which is already salty, then add salt in the beginning.

Honored Contributor

Do what she said above but use chicken broth or stock and cook the chicken in that instead of water.  Sometimes I even take the bird out, take the skin and bones off and put them back in the broth and cook it some more!

Bisquick makes wonderful dumplings--if you like the puffy kind!  Cook 13 minutes lid off, 13 more with the lid on.  the recipe is on the box!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, 4 or 5, put them in a large pot with a 32 oz box of broth, additional water to fill the pot, add in some L.B. Jamison's chicken soup base, salt & pepper and 2 bay leaves (remove them before serving); cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or so till chicken is done, then I pull the chicken out, chop or shred and return it to the pot along with a bag of frozen mixed vegetable and a bag of frozen Ream's noodles. Simmer for another maybe 30 minutes and it's done. Takes very little prep time and is very good, actually it's more of a chicken stew than soup, very thick rich broth. Makes a very large pot, enough that I freeze at least half for a later meal and usually take a good portion to a sweet neighbor lady to enjoy.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I can't make dumplings,so  i would like to make chicken,and noodles,but want a deep ,rich broth.

@goldensrbestI use Heinz gravy in the jar. It makes a nice thick sauce. And it is easy tooWoman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Take a container of David's whompum biscuits and cut the biscuits into thirds or fourhs, depending on the size of dumplings you want.  Drop in right as the dish is about done.  It actually works and are very good.