Honored Contributor

OMG----ordered this dish from our local Ramen place. It was DELICIOUS. It is a Japanese pancake. It has cabbage, eggs, grn onions. panko crumbs and salt. you mix this altogether and then fry it . Served with Kewpie mayo, sesame seeds, nori strips on top. Good gravey is it good. can add seafood or chicken or whatever is in your refer. sounds to me like a great way to use up the bits and pieces of leftovers. going to try it and will report back.

anyone got a recipe they love, for this???

Honored Contributor

Funny you should ask! I just found this recipe a few months ago and it's very good. It's from Cooking Light magazine 

There is a video on line with it 

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/cabbage-okonomiyaki-pancakes?amp=true

Ingredients

1 pound green cabbage, finely shredded (about 5 cups)
4 teaspoons shichimi togarashi (Japanese spice blend), divided
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
2.9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon water
Nutrition

How to Make It

Preheat oven to 200°F.

Combine cabbage, 1 tablespoon togarashi, sugar, and salt in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 tablespoons green onions, eggs, and bacon. Fold in flour.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 1 cup cabbage mixture; flatten with a spatula. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place pancake on a baking sheet; keep warm in 200°F oven. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and cabbage mixture.

Combine remaining 1 teaspoon togarashi, mayonnaise, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl; drizzle over each pancake. Top with remaining green onions.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse ---that is just about the same recipe I found. there is alot of things to it, isn't there--the recipe I found is not even close to having as many ingredients but basically the same.  I think I will give it a go---thanks for your recipe--will print it out. I love Cooking Light--had many cookbooks by them.

Honored Contributor

No problem! I hope they turn out as well at home. The togarashi spice or Japanese 5 spice really makes the recipe, so other than that I don't think you need add everything. I made these again last night and enjoying some leftovers right now. 

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl,

Yes, yes, yes! DH & I love okonomiyaki and make it for ourselves all the time.  Unfortunately bought okonomiyaki are not all created equal. Besides the desired ones we make, the best okonomiyaki I have ever eaten was in Osaka, Japan. There is one Japanese restaurant that makes excellent okonomiyaki, but it's pretty expensive.

Once you get a basic recipe that you like, you can then get creative with ingredient combinations. My favorite is shrimp (or other seafood if I have it), Korean teagu, mochi, & cheese (white - trust me it's delicious with cheese). We also mix in minced ginger from a bottle, or sliced pickled ginger into the batter. It is indeed a great way to use up leftovers!

If you can find okonomi sauce, you can skip the step making it. The sauce, dehydrated mochi, & other staples might be found at an Asian food store. The mochi is hard as a rock but will soften while being cooked. Break the block into bite size pieces and scatter throughout.

Regular flour is fine for the batter, but true okonomiyaki is made with okonomi flour which is finer and creates a lighter, less dense, pancake.

While cooking the base, if it is not cooking through enough, cover with a pot lid. We tend to make large round portions that we can cut up while eating. 
After the base pancake is done cooking, put on a serving plate. Then drizzle okonomi sauce, then kewpie mayo, sprinkle green onions, furikake (or Nori), and tempura bits (better than panko if u can find it). Lastly, top off with lively katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)! We are lucky to live somewhere that has all these fun ingredients. 

Hope you don't mind my suggestions. Any way you make it, enjoy your tasty meal!

Honored Contributor

@PinkMomi ---thanks for all your suggestions----I did buy a box mix to try---but also bought the flour and the bonito flakes too. will get the kewpie mayo today. and my DD is very into asian cuisine so we will get  nori and with all the bonito ---holy cow, 3.2 oz is gynormous amount--Woman Wink we will make dashi stock for the freezer. also will try it with bacon too. DD works so will wait for her and then will see what happens. Where we get it, they put in lots of green onions---so good---will report back!!  Thanks again

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl,

So happy you can get the ingredients! The bonito flakes will be tasty on any ramen too.

It is especially tasty with cold tofu, and sprinkle some of the fresh green onions on as well. 
For a real Japanese twist, add some buttered corn kernels in the okonomiyaki! Japanese love corn in almost everything. Use fresh or canned.

Enjoy creating! You and DD will have so much fun & good eats! 😁

Honored Contributor

@PinkMomi ---thanks---we made these last night and they were very good. Actually looked like the ones we order. the taste is different a little tho, something missing----some spice mix or something, but still really good. Used my grill/panini maker so was able to cook both sides at once. Also we put bacon on one side----yummy. this is kind of a fritatta where you can clean out the bits and pieces of things in your refer to use. I do have all the ingredients to actually make these from scratch  too. DD wants to go to an asian market for pork belly and a few other things for this recipe---when she can of course, dealing with this virus thing. Got some left for my breakfast this a.m.--going to put a runny fried egg over it-----oh, so hungry nowWoman Very Happy