Honored Contributor

For Easter I am thinking about serving dessert in mason jars.....specifically banana cream pie.   I found a recipe using nilla wafers....not sure about that.

Would just crumbling up a baked pie crust and then layering with the pudding mixture work?  Anyone done this?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

How about granola on the bottom.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Kill a Vanilla Wafers are a banana pudding classic. In the 50's and 60's, the classic way of making it was to line a pretty dish-or pan-with alternating layers of cookies, pudding and sliced bananas.

The wafers do become mushy over time...you could really use any cookie you wanted-or pie crust.....I love the crunchiness of store-bought Graham cracker crusts: I could see crumbling that up.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I've seen pictures of it.  They always look really good.  I bet you can find them on pinetrest.

Honored Contributor

Re: mason jar dessert

[ Edited ]

I've eaten several different Mason jar desserts, and don't think the crumbled pie crust is a good idea.   My favorites were the desserts that used crushed cookies; Oreo, shortbread, and nutter butter.  Crushed graham crackers and crushed vanilla wafers made tasty banana pudding desserts----and I'm not even a big fan of banana pudding.   

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I have never tried crumbled pie crust in a mason jar dessert.... I might try baking circles of pie crust on a cookie sheet and then placing them in the jars....

Or,  I would make this graham cracker crumble from glorioustreats.com

http://www.glorioustreats.com/2012/03/banana-caramel-cream-dessert.html

Graham Cracker Crumble

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 full sized crackers)

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 Tablespoon sugar

Directions:

Crush crackers in a large ziplock type bag. Pour crumbs, sugar and melted butter into a bowl and , stir until fully combined. Pour into a 9″x13″ casserole dish and press into a even layer. Bake at 350*F for 10-12 minutes, until light brown. Allow to cool.

Here is their banana caramel cream (made with the above crumble)  I thought it looked very nice and would look great in your mason jars

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Re: mason jar dessert

[ Edited ]

Nilla Wafer cookies are the classic and the expected crust for banana cream pie.

I wouldn't change a thing.

crumbled up pie dough, no way.  Doesn't even sound good with banana cream.  I have never seen or heard of a classic pie crust with banana cream.  It's always been a cookie crust.  You could probably substitute with graham cracker crust, if Nilla Wafers are not to your liking, 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

For Easter I am thinking about serving dessert in mason jars.....specifically banana cream pie.   I found a recipe using nilla wafers....not sure about that.

Would just crumbling up a baked pie crust and then layering with the pudding mixture work?  Anyone done this?  Thanks.

I have cut pie recipe down to ½ to ¼ amount and done the Nilla wafer cookies since it was just for me.  I even bought one of those mini nilla wafer cookie snack containers you get at a convenience store for simple stuff like that.  Not as good but for just me it was fine.  If I was going to do the Mason Jar I would see if I could figure out a way to break up a Nilla Wafer premade pie crust over a dough type pie crust.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Carmie...hmmm, I have always made a banana cream pie with a traditional pie crust, I have never considered anything else....I might have to give the nilla wafers a try.

Honored Contributor

@rrpell, holy smokes, that looks delicious!  Thanks.