Honored Contributor

mary nelsons memaw....mandarin orange cake

saw this on facebook this morning and it sounds easy and delicious!

mandarin orange cake.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: mary nelsons memaw....mandarin orange cake

Yes, it sure does sound good (and easy)!    

Thank you for sharing!

Honored Contributor

I have a similar recipe, but it calls for a 3 oz. pkg. of vanilla pudding in the cake recipe in addition to the other ingredients.

The frosting is 1 3oz. Pkg. vanilla pudding, 1 20 oz. can of crushed pinapple + juice and 1 9 oz. container of cool whip. My recipe doesn't call for cream cheese.

Top the cake cake with coconut, it is delicious.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Yummy!! There goes my diet.Lol!!😂😂

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  and @QVCkitty1   Thanks to you both for posting these cake recipes.  Both are easy and who doesn't need easy and tasting good during the hectic holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

This DOES sound good and I'm tempted to try it.  Wish it was more specific about pan size and gave an amount of time to bake.  I guess I'll make it in a 9 x 13 and follow box directions for time.  Yep, that should work!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

This DOES sound good and I'm tempted to try it.  Wish it was more specific about pan size and gave an amount of time to bake.  I guess I'll make it in a 9 x 13 and follow box directions for time.  Yep, that should work!

9x13 is just right.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I have a similar recipe, but it calls for a 3 oz. pkg. of vanilla pudding in the cake recipe in addition to the other ingredients.

The frosting is 1 3oz. Pkg. vanilla pudding, 1 20 oz. can of crushed pinapple + juice and 1 9 oz. container of cool whip. My recipe doesn't call for cream cheese.

Top the cake cake with coconut, it is delicious.

I have that recipe also!  Mine uses 4 eggs.

When this recipe came out, mandarin oranges only came in one type (11 oz can).  Today they are all sizes and in juice, light syrup and heavy syrup!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This cake is awesome! A co-worker made it probably over 20 years ago and as soon as I tasted it, I wanted the recipe and have made it many times since then. The only difference with my recipe is that the frosting doesn't call for cream cheese....just Cool Whip, a package of instant vanilla pudding and the undrained pineapple. The addition of cream cheese sounds delicious. The cake is so moist and flavorful.

Edited: I just rechecked my recipe and it calls for 1 stick melted butter instead of the vegetable oil. Bake in a 9x13 pan for the length of time recommended on the box of cake mix. It's really a wonderful and easy cake!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

some clarifications:

11 ounce can of mandarin oranges ( i guess it would not matter what type of syrup or natural juices they were in.)

small package of pudding mix

9x13 pan for roughly 25 minutes OR bundt pan for roughly 45 minutes.

i prefer butter to vegetable oil, so i use softened butter or melted butter in the cake.

make sure to spray the pans very well or grease them, especially if using a bundt pan.

the icing alone makes a good dip for fruits and graham crackers!

Great flavor! The cream cheese helps cut the sweetness. It’s also a lighter texture, which is helpful when you’re already stuffed from dinner!
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein