Esteemed Contributor

Garlic and onion and a parm rind!  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  so there is a difference? between fried and not fried and will it say it on the package?

Honored Contributor

I use a few spoonfuls of Better than Boullion that comes in a jar. It's very concentrated and flavorful so you don't need much. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I get a rump roast or eye of round and cut in one inch squares.  I simmer it in a little garlic and beef broth until somewhat done.

I then add 2 Tbsp of soy and also Worcestershire.  Then I 4-5 cans of recipe cut tomatoes, and beef broth 3-4 32 oz boxes beef broth.  Then green beans, okra, fresh carrots, and small green peas.  I use a canning pot.  And freeze it.

When I serve it, I have cooked the potatoes separately and pour it over the potatoes.

Cooked potatoes become mealy after they are refrigerated because the starch changes to sugar.  That's why babies will eat potatoes!

You can't tell the mealiness in twice baked potatoes because of the sour cream.

You might try adding some Goya Beef Bullion from Oriental Foods in your grocery store.

Goya Powdered Bouillon, Beef, 2.82 Oz

I love Goya seasoning it is the best. I use the chicken flavor in my chicken soup too. It adds such great flavor. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with you.....like yesterday's dishwater.   Can't seem to make soup with a bounce.

Regular Contributor

I use boneless chuck roast as base. Can crushed tomatoes (tuttoroso). Celery, onions, parsnips, turnips, leeks, carrots and sometimes cabbage. If you need more intense beef flavor add some Better than Bouillon although I've never had to do so.

Trusted Contributor

I start with 6-8 cups of water, then use Better than Boullion, OR a packet of Knorr vegetable soup, OR a packet of onion soup mix.  When using those items, I usually do not add any other salt...just loads of veggies and beef.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse i do have that in my fridge.it is a little pricey,but yes,would add to flavor.thankyou for suggestion

Honored Contributor

The best broth is homemade and made with beef knuckle bones.  It makes a big difference.

I put my bones with meat, pieces of celery, onions and salt and pepper in a big pot and let it simmer for hours.  You have to cook the flavor out of those bones.

Then I remove the bones, pick off the meat and put that back into the pot with my veggies,etc.

if you are making veggie soup with cabbage, put the cabbage in the pot with the bones.   Cabbage really flavors veggie soup and takes a long time to cook.

If I am making french  onion soup, I add some red wine to the broth.

Valued Contributor

@Luvsmyfam i would use stock instead of broth. Do you brown the beef first?  That might help also.i would saute beef dusted in flour.  Then saute onion, celery and garlic.  Then add potatoes, tomatoes and stock and simmer until potatoes are tender.