Honored Contributor

Re: looking for Chicken & Dumplings recipe

I have 2: one is for the pressure cooker (amazing) and is in the Blue Jeans Cookbook sold on QVC.com and the other is from Taste of Home: Meals Mom Made (or something like that). Both are fantastic, both are dumplings not noodles and both are loved and requested weekly by the family.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chicken-and-dumplings-like-cracker-barrels-5000

@butterfly123

@butterfly123

Thank you so much!

This recipe surely sounds like my Moms, and I know CB tastes much like my Moms.  She would drop those ‘biscuts’ into the hot boiling stock and they would fight to get to the top!  Fluffy, light, yummy! 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Mom always used Bisquick and the recipe on the box. Sometimes we added herbs. Cook them 13minutes lid on and 13more lid off broth gently bubbling. They are wondeeful. Cooks country made them recently flatter ones

Valued Contributor

@Drythe

Yes, please. I would love the recipe. I want the fluffy dumplings. I am bound & determined to accomplish this this winter. Guess it's on my bucket list.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

cookin

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I tried to google the BJC Pressure cooker recipe and couldn't find it.  Do you have a link? 

I found her Just the Basics recipe using rot chix, but I am looking to try the pressure cooker version.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Chicken and Dumplings

Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence 

Ingredients
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-sized pieces**
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ cup white wine or dry vermouth
  • 1 quart really good quality chicken stock
  • ¼ chopped fresh parsley
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

• Dumplings:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Instructions
  1. **If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken, you can use about 2½ to3 pounds of chicken thighs and breasts and sear them in the pot before following with the directions below. Once you’ve seared the chicken pieces, finish cooking the chicken in the oven on a baking sheet, or poach them in the chicken stock that is called for in the recipe. Once cooked, tear or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
  2. Pre-heat a Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the onion, celery and carrots until they are tender – about 8 to 10 minutes – stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and dried spices and stir around for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add the flour and stir well. The flour will absorb the fat in the pan and might start to brown a little on the bottom but don’t let it burn.
  4. Add the white wine or vermouth and stir, scraping up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and reserved chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
  5. While the stew is simmering, make your dumplings. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter in with two knives or by pinching it with your fingers. (You can also use a food processor for this.) Stir in the milk and fresh chives until a wet dough comes together.
  6. Add the parsley to the stew and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer.
  7. Drop the dumplings by the large spoonful onto the surface of the stew. Let the dumplings cook on top of the stew uncovered for about 10 minutes. Then, cover the stew and dumplings and let them cook for another 10 minutes.
  8. Serve it up!  Serves 6
Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

If you like fluffy dumplings, this is my grandma's recipe:

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

dash of salt

1/3 cup milk

2 Tbsp melted butter

1 beaten egg

Combine ingredients, and drop by tablespoon into hot soup/broth.

Cook covered for 20 minutes