Respected Contributor

last nites boxed cake (almost fiasco)

so everyone knows that the boxed cake mixes are smaller now. never really gave it that much thought. 

last nite, dd and i decided to make one. i believe it was a pillsbury. 

so added to eggs, water and oil, and started to pour into a 9 x 13.  and i thought when pouring the batter in, my goodness, that doesn't even look like it will cover the bottom of the pan.

well, yes it did, but there was probably only barely a inch of batter in the pan. 

directions stated 34 to 38 minutes for my pan. 

i always like to set the timer for the minimal amount of time, then check for myself.  so i put the timer for 30 minutes.

went to check it was done at 26 minutes. would have been dry and overbaked, had i set the timer for the box directions.  

clearly, when decreasing the volume of the mix on the boxes, they did not take into account/change  the baking time.  

Respected Contributor

Re: last nites boxed cake (almost fiasco)

You know, I think that experience warrents a follow up with the manufacturer.  That is probably exactly what happened, and it is annoying that they did not change the directions to match the lesser volume of the batter.  I am ticked off, on your behalf!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

i have had the same problem....now i always have a yellow cake mix on hand...i add it to whatever flavor cake mix i'm using to equal the original weight the mix used to be....think original weight was 16 oz.....

Respected Contributor

Me, too !  Keep one or two on hand ( just in case grands come by and want to make me a treat).

Wouldn’t have noticed the differences so thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

Did they decrease the amount of mix again?

Honored Contributor

To return the skimpy cakes mixes to the size they should be, I add 6 tbsp of flour and 1 tsp of baking powder.  I just routinely add it to every cake or brownie mix.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

To return the skimpy cakes mixes to the size they should be, I add 6 tbsp of flour and 1 tsp of baking powder.  I just routinely add it to every cake or brownie mix.

@Kachina624     Thanks!    I wrote that down.....in case I get a hankering for a whole cake......     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624     Thanks!    I wrote that down.....in case I get a hankering for a whole cake......     di

Me too!  But I use my judgement with the flour.  Probaby 4-5 tbsp.   I add 1 tsp of baking powder and some vanilla.