Honored Contributor

I once made a cake using ice cream - in place of I can't even remember - and it was a waste of good ingredients.  It was awful and went right into the garbage after a slice.

Trusted Contributor

everyone has different tastes

Trusted Contributor

I have made this recipe quite a few times over the years.  The key is to use a really good premium ice cream -that makes or breaks this recipe.  I've made it with peach, strawberry, mint chocolate chip, cherry vanilla, banana and it's always turned out well.  Also makes great muffins.  Don't knock it!

Esteemed Contributor

I was intrigued by this combination of ingredients, so I tried the recipe yesterday. The result was a loaf that truly had the texture of bread (not quick bread, which was kind of what I expected) rather than a cake but didn't have much flavor at all. I used Haagen Dazs Cherry Vanilla, which is a good quality ice cream, but the bread wasn't very sweet, didn't taste like vanilla, and only had a pop of taste when I got a cherry in a bite. I can definitely see why one might spread butter on this due to the texture and need for a little more creaminess and flavor. Overall, I'd say the approach is interesting, but I doubt I'd make this again. Thanks for sharing the idea, @shortbreadlover.

icecreambread.png

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I once made a cake using ice cream - in place of I can't even remember - and it was a waste of good ingredients.  It was awful and went right into the garbage after a slice.

Yes, the same thing happened with me, I think it may have been the recipe I used , it didn't call for self rising flour. I would be up for trying it again.