Respected Contributor

i would like your opinion please

it's time again me to bring snacks for a weekly study group. 

there is one gal who is gluten free. 

i know that i can buy gluten free noodles, but...

do you think that lasagne made with corn tortillas sounds weird?

we seem to have alot of things with the mexican theme. wanted to stay away from that. 

my other idea was to make oven roasted broc/cauli chill it, and then put shredded chicken, bacon, green onion, and red grapes. dressing on the side. maybe sprinkle with toasted nuts.  would anyone be turned off, by roasted veggies served cold and in a salad? 

thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: i would like your opinion please

Hi @kittyloo ,

I think that both ideas sound good.

I really like your idea of a cold salad with roasted veggies and chicken, though.

I think that it would be something different to bring/serve. Smiley Happy

I like cold salads with raw veggies, so I don't see why roasted veggies wouldn't work, too. I think that they would give an added flavor from being roasted.

I made a pre-made frozen burrito dinner last night that came from Walmart, that was like a lasanga.

I don't know that it was gluten-free, because I don't recall if the tortillas were flour or corn? 

It was made with layers of tortillas, and flavored taco meat, and also had rice in it, and some type of enchilada sauce, and then had some kind of taco-style shredded cheese on it. 

It was very good. 

Esteemed Contributor

I will keep a bowl of roasted veggies in the fridge for snacks - cold!  Love 'em!

Honored Contributor

If you are staying away from a Mexican flair, go with the salad.

Esteemed Contributor

The salad sounds yummy.  

A fresh fruit salad or fruit kabobs would be a refreshing snack too.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, would vote for the salad over the modified lasagna—you really can't go wrong with roasted veggies in any application! Good luck...

Esteemed Contributor

If only one person out of the whole group is gluten free hasn't she ever offered to bring her own snacks instead of everybody else having to make adjustments? Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

I dont cater to 1 persons eating differences.  They can eat what they chose or bring their own.  The "______free" is way out of hand.  I have discovered with most its because its the "in" thing.  (I do however have a friend thats has very restricted foods and she either does not eat what is offered or brings her own.  She does not expect others to go out of their way for 1 person.)

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl   no she never does.  mind you, she is not a complainer, and just eats whatever. who knows, maybe she snacks before group.  

we usually just try to accomodate her in someway. not totally, but, give her a little option.

Honored Contributor

In a Better Homes magazine, I saw roasted vegies served cold with a dressing.  Give it a dry run.  I bet it would be good especially with grated Parmesan cheese.