Respected Contributor

Re: i need help from someone who uses a piping bag to frost cookies and cakes

@RespectLife, Does it take a lot of hand strength? There is a review that is really bad for this item. She states it is terrible absolutely terrible but does not say why. I find this so irritating when people leave reviews like that without any details. I was surprised to see your glowing report on this item because of that review.

Honored Contributor

Are you using the coupler with the tips or just shoving the tip down through the end of the bag?

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@RespectLife  It's a little involved to post here, but if you're interested it's on the Wilton. com website under Royal Icing. The info they give you at Wilton will make sure you have better success with the icing. It's not a difficult recipe, but they give great tips to handling Royal icing that you wouldn't think of.

Thank you very much @blackhole99 

Going to look for it now.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@RespectLife, Does it take a lot of hand strength? There is a review that is really bad for this item. She states it is terrible absolutely terrible but does not say why. I find this so irritating when people leave reviews like that without any details. I was surprised to see your glowing report on this item because of that review.

@tiny 2 

I don't think so.  I had no problems using it.  It dispenses very easily.  It is easy to fill and the 'stopper' handle slides in smoothly to push the icing down.  I just clicked away and made rosettes.

While I do not have dexterity or arthritic issues, I am a total weakling and have no arm/hand strength.

I would def. order/purchase from some place that takes back ALL returns if it doesn't work for you!

Honored Contributor

I use a melon baller to fill my deviled eggs. Just scoop the filling with the melon baller, using whichever size you want (mine has a small size and a larger size, one on each end of the handle). It makes a nice, round scoo that fills in the open egg cavity perfectly. Sprinkle with a little paprika if you like. I never mess with a pastry bag unless I have to! Instead, I use a freezer-weight ziplock bag...the freezer ones are stronger and don’t break open like the sandwich-weight ones do.
Honored Contributor

I tried unsuccessfully to find a royal icing recipe that worked for the gingerbread houses we were making with the grand girls last Christmas. It was expensive, but I finally bought the Wilton royal icing powder you mix up yourself...it was the right consistency to hold on the decorations and it didn’t dry out before I finished decorating like some other recipes I had made. Bought mine at Hobby Lobby. They carry almost all the Wilton line of cake decorating supplies....I use their 40% off coupon when I need something and it isn’t on sale.