Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: i have a question about trout

My mother's family lived in Western Colorado and had a cabin on a lake in the mountains.  They ate tons of trout, even for breakfast.  They were always coated in cornmeal and pan fried.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mother's family lived in Western Colorado and had a cabin on a lake in the mountains.  They ate tons of trout, even for breakfast.  They were always coated in cornmeal and pan fried.

Now you're talking!!!!    Sounds great.  I love trout.

Honored Contributor

i always prefer my fish skinless and boneless and headless and tailless.

i prefer not to do it myself so i generally get it from a seafood market.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I used to live in a city where we could get fresh trout frequently.  I left the heads on, then steamed them gently on  rack over simmering water with onions celery and carrots in the water.  (mire pois).  You have to know your guests or family and don't freak them out with the heads.  Some would call this poaching, but I didn't totally submerge the fish.  

Valued Contributor

I buy rainbow trout every week.  We love it!  I buy it with head off, then cut off the tail.  It is already filleted (no bones)  We only eat half a fish each so I cut it down the middle, put melted butter all over and broil for 5 minutes till butter gets brown and nutty.  I serve with lemon juice.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45   If fish are caught by family members, it's very important to never let someone trick you into learning how to clean them.  I've always lived with avid fishermen but don't have the vaguest idea of how to clean them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45   If fish are caught by family members, it's very important to never let someone trick you into learning how to clean them.  I've always lived with avid fishermen but don't have the vaguest idea of how to clean them.

@Kachina624,LOL, I learned this the hard way and came up with the rule you catch em you clean em or give me a nice new spinner and I will catch em and you clean em. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

It’s generally a preference but any meat, fish, or fowl has more flavor when bones are in tact.  I try to cook fish whole and then fillet before serving.