Respected Contributor

i have a question about trout

anyone know about cooking trout with the head on or off? 

i was just given some, headless.  i always left the head on when cleaning in the past.  

i looked at some recipes etc. and it kinda goes either way. 

do you think its just a preference?  or is there some kind of a benefit?

Trusted Contributor

Re: i have a question about trout

i like them cooked without the head on. to me, it just looks nicer.  but that is just me.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Love Love trout..........I have the store remove the heads.  What's the purpose of leaving it on?

Trusted Contributor

i have no idea at all

Honored Contributor

When we can find it, we get trout fillets.  I hate having my food stare at me.  In Europe they serve shrimp with the eyes, tails, etc.  Hate that!

Honored Contributor

I remove the head before preparation:

Place baking sheet in oven and set heat at 450 degrees.  Butterfly fish and remove bones.  Pat dry with paper towels, then salt and pepper.  Pour 1/4 cup olive oil on hot sheet, tilt to coat, and heat in oven for 4 more minutes.  Cook trout skin side down until opaque, about 8 minutes.  Place on serving platter and drizzle with olive oil.  I like to sprinkle with some Old Bay seasoning.       

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Love Love trout..........I have the store remove the heads.  What's the purpose of leaving it on?

i believe leaving the heads on is to gauge freshness in stores.  look at the eyes

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I would know freshness from the eyes.  It does prove the fish is dead.....

Honored Contributor

I live in a mountain and rainbow trout area.  It's just a preference.  Just don't over cook.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@fthunt   How? Cause it doesn't blink? Smiley Wink  The fish eyes should be clear and full.  If the eyes are dull ,sunken or dried out,  the fish has sat around for a while and is not fresh.  Look for nice clear eyes.