Honored Contributor

was wondering if someone makes their own pork sausage at home---the store bought stuff is so salty and not well seasoned. I would use already ground pork and then add to it--know I can google it, but if you have a great recipe, I would love that!!! I do have a KA grinder attachment and have actually used it to grind meat---lots of work tho.

Honored Contributor

If you make your own sausage, what do you use for casing?

Honored Contributor

I make my own breakfast sausage using a recipe from a local butcher:

2 lbs ground pork

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tbsp maple syrup (if you like this flavor)

2 tsp dried sage

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (If you like the heat)

Mix everything in big bowl (I like to use my hands to make sure it's well-blended).  I like it fried in a little butter.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

If you make your own sausage, what do you use for casing?

You don't necessarily need a casing, just make patties or form it into a chub for slicing

We get our breakfast sausage from a local processor, he does deer in season and hogs the other times.   I wish I had his recipe.    It's perfectly seasoned & balanced

@wagirl 

Honored Contributor

It has been a very long time since my family seasoned our ground pork for sausage.   My parents were pretty specific with their order, and the butcher we used would add the seasoning to ensure it was evenly distributed during the grinding process.  

The ground meat would arrive in cardboard boxes lined with butcher paper.   Mom would fry some for supper, and she and Dad would decide whether to tweak the seasonings.   I can only remember salt, pepper, sage, ground red pepper flakes, and ground fennel seeds.   

Honored Contributor

Re: homemade pork sausage

[ Edited ]

I have some Breakfast Sausage seasoning I bought from Penzey's.  It contains salt, sugar, paprika, black pepper, dextrose, nutmeg, cayenne, sage and thyme.  I forgot I had it.  I am going to get some ground pork and try it.