Honored Contributor

Re: home delivery meals opinions

@wagirlwrote:

I have been trying one called Plated. The recipes are very good, but my issue is that I have many of the ingredients already and feel like I am paying for them twice. But the food items are really good and nice looking and fresh. Also the packing material is kind of hard to recycle.  And  most of the meals are not to my hubs likes—- he is a plain eater while my daughter and I like the different cuisines. So will prob cancel. But all were within my cooking  abilities and made in a half hour at least. Was fun to try tho.  Price per meal was $10 per person. I order 3 nights a week, for 3 people.

@wagirl.  See that's the part I don't mind. I'm sure I would have most ingredients like spices,etc. not the meat, veggies or starch. I don't want to measure anything. Most of the companies have everything pre measured. Open bag and dump. At this time in my life I want the easiest way possible. Plated sounds good, I may try it, thanks.

Honored Contributor

proudly—- you still need to prep everything—- chop the herbs- slice up the vegs, bread the meat , cook the pasta—- not just open and dump, cook and eat. I agree with what you are saying— me too. But I always have what comes in the meals, on hand. Best thing for me would have it all  cooked , ready and me sit down to eat. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirlwrote:

proudly—- you still need to prep everything—- chop the herbs- slice up the vegs, bread the meat , cook the pasta—- not just open and dump, cook and eat. I agree with what you are saying— me too. But I always have what comes in the meals, on hand. Best thing for me would have it all  cooked , ready and me sit down to eat. 

@wagirl.  Oh yes, I know about the prepping and cooking. That I can handle, LOL. For me, it's just the organizing and pulling things from cabinets, measuring, etc.

Not sure what happened to me in my old age!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks wagirl for including the price. Wish prices were included in all the posts. That makes a difference to me.

Honored Contributor

I used to get partially prepared foods from  Schwans . They deliver to your door. Already to be cooked. Chicken breaded & frozen - ready for the oven. Fabulous soups you just heat in microwave. I used them quite a lot when my DH was travelling all the time and I was making meals just for myself after working all day. They have a webpage where you order then it is delivered the day you specify. I always was pleased with whatever I ordered from Schwans.

I am a pretty experienced cook and family tells me a very good cook.I find when watching the ads for those home delivered ingred. meals they seem that they'd be a pain in the neck unless you like to cook.

Personally, I seldom enjoy cooking and the cleanup anymore. I'm so weary of eatting the same foods all the time.I'm just tired of it all. I want a meal delivered to me while I sit at the kitchen table in my pajamas, and then to throw away the dishes.

Trusted Contributor

I am currently using HelloFresh and am very pleased with them.  Produce quality is top notch so is the ease of preparartion.  I used Blue Apron twice and it was awful.  The produce was very bruised and on verge of spoiling.  Same with their fresh herbs. 

Valued Contributor

@elruthI have tried Magic Kitchen.  It was last year and I think it worked out to be $8.00  a meal. 

They include a main dish and a side or two.  They are already cooked and then you microwave. 

I purchasd them because you can control carbs salt etc.  Everything I ordered was good.

Honored Contributor

We regularly used Blue Apron and really liked it. The produce was outstanding. We had corn on the cob one night - it was so good, if that is the only thing I ate that night I would have been happy. We noticed the produce is from New Jersey and since we are right over the bridge from New Jersey, I guess that is why the produce is so fresh and good.

The meals were easy to prepare and we were happy with all the meals. Unfortunately my son's schedule has changed - so dinner is all different hours. So we haven't been ordering it lately. We eat dinner about 6 hours apart now.

We also tried Hello Fresh. And liked it too. The recipes seemed a bit faster to prepare. But we did not use them as often as Blue Apron.

Respected Contributor

I have not tried any of these meals but my brother did, he is divorced & single said it was good but too much for 1 person, had leftovers. I understand this is a good idea for elderly or working families. My grocery store Frys aka Kroger now has these meals in a box too. Just go in purchase what meal you want. I haven't done it but very temped. Swanns has a wonderful reviews of their products, I still like to walk around but there may be a day I need this service. I do over spend in the store. My question do you tip these people if you drive up & they already have your groceries ready?  

Honored Contributor

I have tried Plated for a few weeks and they were fine. Great customers service too--had to email them for missing ingredients or some that were bad, like arugula that was bad and a small container of mustard that exploded all over the other stuff.  Got a meal replacement credit. Recipes good and written well. I just ordered meals for 2 from AMZ Fresh--will try one tonight.