Trusted Contributor

help with potato salad recipe

My mom used to make a potato salad recipe in which she marinated the potatoes in a dressing.  I think it was french dressing?  She marinated the potatoes over night then mixed up everything the next day.  Does anyone have a recipe that is similar???  My mom passed several years ago and I'm not able to locate her recipe.  It was so yummy.

Honored Contributor

Re: help with potato salad recipe

[ Edited ]

@ruthbe   I just add all ingredients while the potatoes are warm, then refrigerate overnight, turns out delicious.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Yep - I do the same thing as you. I make my own dressing ie olive oil, either Duke's or Hellmann's and vinegar to taste.

@ruthbe   I don't it's necessary to marinate the potatoes but certainly to each her own. I've never heard or read doing this. I also don't like french fressing as I think it's too sweet (yes I've tried it). I don't like my salad to have a sweet taste and that's me/us. This is as much as I can help you out - or not.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t made it in years, but my go to potato salad always started with warm potatoes mixed with a vinaigrette. Then when they were cool I mixed them with a mayo, sour cream and diced cucumber dressing. The initial vinaigrette addition added a nice flavor punch. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

There was a post about this just a couple of days ago.  Look through the recipe forum.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do potato salad with a short pre-marinade.  For approx. 2.5 lbs of cooked, sliced potatoes, use 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1/4 tsp. Pepper.  Dissolve everything in the vinegar before adding to potatoes.  Add onions to the potatoes and marinade.  Stir with spatula carefully and let sit for an hour before adding mayo thinned with a little milk and whatever else you like (celery, mustard, eggs).

Makes a very tasty potato salad.

Respected Contributor

@ruthbe   I remember my mom used to sometimes “marinate” her potato salad ingredients in a little red French dressing (I can’t remember for how long) and then would add the mayo, yellow mustard dressing mixture before serving. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia, I enjoyed your recipe.....I have always added vinegar, sugar and s/p to the mayo and then mixed it all into the potatoes. But I think your method would soak into the potatoes better. Too bad I made potato salad this morning with my usual method, but I'm going to try adding the vinegar/sugar mixture to the potatoes first the next time I make it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Trusted Contributor

thank you to everyoneHeart