Honored Contributor

Re: got a new fave ready made jar red sauce

@sunala Just an Italian market -  on a SE corner on Montauk HWY a few blocks west of Nichols Road.  I can't even tell you which restaurants nearby are functioning well if you want to eat on site.  Maybe your friend can help with that.

Finally planning to eat at a restaurant for the first time since early March -  Kingston's on the water in Sayville.  Going mid-afternoon hoping to avoid a crowd and working around the weather so we can sit outdoors --  good fish, great lobster rolls!

Esteemed Contributor

No one mentioned Victoria for jarred sauce?!

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a jar of Michael's of Brooklyn sauce ( there is a restaurant for dining in). It was on sale for $5.99, I think it is usually $7 or $8, so I splurged. While it was good, I don't know if it is worth $8 a jar. I know a lot of people who have raved about Rao's sauce, if it is ever on sale I'm going to try it.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

If Rao's is not available, I find Victoria to be a serviceable sauce.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

If Rao's is not available, I find Victoria to be a serviceable sauce.

@deepwaterdotter  Same here.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@sunala Just an Italian market -  on a SE corner on Montauk HWY a few blocks west of Nichols Road.  I can't even tell you which restaurants nearby are functioning well if you want to eat on site.  Maybe your friend can help with that.

Finally planning to eat at a restaurant for the first time since early March -  Kingston's on the water in Sayville.  Going mid-afternoon hoping to avoid a crowd and working around the weather so we can sit outdoors --  good fish, great lobster rolls!

hi @millieshops - that sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I hope you get a great table and delicious food! I haven't been out in several months, and so far I have no plans. However, we do use doordash and grubhub a lot. I think the drivers know us by name lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Bibione 

I bet those two months are glorious!  Do you have family that you stay with?

I've always dreamed of doing something like that, but hate flying, so....

Maybe you'll get to go next year!

Esteemed Contributor

@NanaBanana 

Never heard of this brand, but I see lots of it listed at Walmart online.

Will have to check it out, although I normally make my own sauce.

Sometimes, it's handy to have it already made.

Frequent Contributor

My family heritage is Hungarian.  We grew up using Ragu sauce.  When I got married I started cooking & eating different types of food, well not all kinds, at times I am a fussy eater.

I do experiment at times.  At one place I worked, we would have potluck lunches.  One of my co-workers and I would go in and make Italian sausage and sauce.  She taught me this trick.  Just got plain tomato sauce, add in the sausage, and if wanted also add in meatballs to a crockpot and let it cook.  Most people thought it was homemade sauce.

After what I would also do, I used my 18 qt. nesco cooker.  I would flash brown some italian sausage, some beef, at times even some ribs on the grill, sometimes I would even do onions and green peppers, then toss in the nesco and let it cook low and slow in the nesco, also came out great.  If I wasn't making a large batch, then I do the same in the 6 qt.