Honored Contributor

Re: got a new fave ready made jar red sauce

@Laura14 

My Jewish grandma made her own , it was thick and delicious, such a  sweet memory and always spaghetti, in the 1960's there was little else out there 

@Laura14 wrote:

My Italian grandfather who made sauce all his life liked Prego.  He thought if he spiced with it a little bit it wasn't that bad.  They make good stuff!  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I live in a mixed Italian / Irish area, best sauces around here are Mario's of Brooklyn and Jersey Italian Gravy. The first is from a restaurant in on Avenue R in Brooklyn and the second is as good of better than any restaurant around.

I get the first one at Fresh Market and the second ocassionally at Stew Leonards

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I am Italian,in fact i always spend 2 summer months in Italy.It was so hard canceling my plane tickets.If you see Pomi tomato sauce,it is imported from Italy.

I alays add a pinch of sugar to the sauce,because it takes away the acidity from the tomatoes.

I grow basil and other spices.Also I add oregano and red peppers flakes to the sauce.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well, I'm of Welsh, Irish, English heritage but since I was born here and am old, all of that is long gone!  And thank goodness.

And by the way, all of you Italians didn't have tomatoes, corn for polenta, and some other things until trade with the New World opened up!  I don't know what y'all ate before that!  Woman Very Happy

We like Rao's, Target's House brand, and Whole Foods 365 (especially the four cheese).  We normally buy mostly the basic sauces because we will add sauteed mushrooms, beef or sausage, or maybe use it plain topped with a good cheese or even cottage cheese on a "quick" supper night. 

I have never been a Prego fan--well not since it first came out then better options came along.  We have used other brands over the last decades, but those listed are in our pantry at all times now. 

I'm of German-English descent, so no claims of Italian culinary preferences from me.  But my favorite store-bought marinara is also Rao's.  It's the only sauce we eat if I'm out of my homemade recipe.

Honored Contributor

i do like making my own sauces this time of the year especially, but if i am buying sauces i prefer RAOs and MARIOS OF BROOKLYN and STONEWALL KITCHEN.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Sorry but my Italian Mil & husband spoiled me. No Prego in my house.

@NicksmomESQ  .. My parents where born and raised in Italy.   We never had store bought sauce in the house.    I still make my own pasta sauces.  My sister-in-law used to use Prego when she cooked pasta for her girls when they were little.   I couldn't even stand the smell.  I guess I was spoiled by my mother's great cooking.  

Occasional Contributor

@wagirl, you can find that Rao sauce for under six dollars at Walmart, I buy it there my husband loves it says it tastes really good, hope you try there I saw it at Kroger for almost $9 that is a big difference in price.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Sorry but my Italian Mil & husband spoiled me. No Prego in my house.

@NicksmomESQ  .. My parents where born and raised in Italy.   We never had store bought sauce in the house.    I still make my own pasta sauces.  My sister-in-law used to use Prego when she cooked pasta for her girls when they were little.   I couldn't even stand the smell.  I guess I was spoiled by my mother's great cooking.  

@Boehm Collector  My DH cooks the sauce in our house. Usually with meatballs & sausage. It's out of this world.I make the antipasto & the garlic bread.We pop a bottle of wine & enjoy the experience.

Respected Contributor

@Bibione 

Your post reminded my of my late Italian MIL.    She made her own sauce and used to say that if you put anything besides garlic and parsley , like basil, oregano etc. , you have pizza sauce.   Her sauce was canned tomato paste, water, S&P, garlic and parsley .  That's it.  Oh and some grease from frying the meatballs.  And it was delicious.  We've tried to make it over the years and it's never as good. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hunt's in a can!  Stock up when it's on sale for $1.  

Well guess I better not invite you cooks over my house for a pasta dinnerWoman LOL!