Honored Contributor

got a new fave ready made jar red sauce

I am HORRIBLE at making a decent red suace---I must not have that gene in me --- even following a tried and true recipe. So I use jarred sauce. Not crazy about any of them ---tried Raos which is good but almost $9 a jar, I don't buy unless in a sale. But I am loving Pregos Farmers Market sauce----I think it is really good and at under $4 a jar---winner---think there are 4 different kinds and each one is pretty good--my fave is the Arrabiatta -------

Honored Contributor

Re: got a new fave ready made jar red sauce

My Italian grandfather who made sauce all his life liked Prego.  He thought if he spiced with it a little bit it wasn't that bad.  They make good stuff!  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 When I'm on LI for the summer, I splurge on sauces from a wonderful Italiam market.  

When I don't have access, I buy Prego.  I'm not Italian, but like your grandfather, I do add.  Most often, I saute some onion and garlic to translucent, add sauce and simmer for a short while.  I don't cook fancy, but good sauce and fresh grated cheese are 2 of my must-haves.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry but my Italian Mil & husband spoiled me. No Prego in my house.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   That sounds wonderful!  

Respected Contributor

I love Prego fresh mushroom.

I started buying it when an Italian woman at work told me she used it all the time.  Her family thought it was homemade sauce.  She made her own after using the Prego for years and they didn't like it.  

My brother's Italian MIL always added it to her own sauce.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I love Prego fresh mushroom.

I started buying it when an Italian woman at work told me she used it all the time.  Her family thought it was homemade sauce.  She made her own after using the Prego for years and they didn't like it.  

My brother's Italian MIL always added it to her own sauce.

Funny how taste is.  We get accustomed to a flavor, often as a child and whether that flavor was from homemade or readymade, that becomes the flavor we associate with that item.  Of course, that can change over time as we become re-accustomed to a flavor which is why her family no longer liked her homeade sauce.  

I don't do just a red sauce.  It has to have meat in it.  I used to use Prego years ago and always added extra herbs to it. Today, I use Bertolli Olive Oil & Garlic and don't feel the need to add anything to it besides some red wine. My meat sauce is a mixture of ground beef & mild Italian Sausage + fresh mushrooms +black olives +green olives.  The sauce is just the background for the meat and stuff I add, not the star.  

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm of Welsh, Irish, English heritage but since I was born here and am old, all of that is long gone!  And thank goodness.

And by the way, all of you Italians didn't have tomatoes, corn for polenta, and some other things until trade with the New World opened up!  I don't know what y'all ate before that!  Woman Very Happy

We like Rao's, Target's House brand, and Whole Foods 365 (especially the four cheese).  We normally buy mostly the basic sauces because we will add sauteed mushrooms, beef or sausage, or maybe use it plain topped with a good cheese or even cottage cheese on a "quick" supper night. 

I have never been a Prego fan--well not since it first came out then better options came along.  We have used other brands over the last decades, but those listed are in our pantry at all times now. 

Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I am HORRIBLE at making a decent red suace---I must not have that gene in me --- even following a tried and true recipe. So I use jarred sauce. Not crazy about any of them ---tried Raos which is good but almost $9 a jar, I don't buy unless in a sale. But I am loving Pregos Farmers Market sauce----I think it is really good and at under $4 a jar---winner---think there are 4 different kinds and each one is pretty good--my fave is the Arrabiatta -------

While I don't care for regular Prego, I do like the Prego Farmer's Market line, too!

Lately I have been buying the Pioneer Woman Marinara sauce which is delicious!

Valued Contributor

My husband grew up with and Italian mother and grandmother always making pasta and saue. I have tired to make sauce like what he remembers. From the grocery store he likes the Hunts sauces or Trader Joe's but then he likes the Mama Mancini suces as well.