Esteemed Contributor

We love all the Bear Creek soups except one: the navy bean. It is incredibly salty yet has almost no flavor, and the dehydrated potatoes never get fully hydrated and therefore retain an odd chewy texture. We added some ham chunks to the leftover pot and reheated it on the stove to help it a little rather than just tossing it, but we'll definitely never buy that packet again.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: good and quick soup

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

I never heard of this brand of soup.  Checked out the chicken--180 calories per cup and 770 mg of sodium????  No wonder it tastes good.  I'll pass.  

-----------------------

A couple of months ago, I was interested in that brand of soup, the sodium content made it a definite pass for me.  But the flavors do sound good....wish they would make a low/no sodium version!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find that canned and packaged soups are much too salty for me.  My go-to soup on most days is to take a carton of bold, unsalted chicken stock, add rice or NO Yolks and some other veggies and seasonings (I use some salt but I also like to add Savory Spice's Fried Chicken Seasoning and some black pepper), bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.  Absolutely nothing fancy but it tastes good to me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

i wish   that they would make a lot of things low soduim

Trusted Contributor

forgot to add that when i use something that has a high soduim cntent, i never add more salt.  i try to cook without added salt.  but i still et too much salt in food.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

take a can of tomato soup, and add a can of beef broth to it.  heat until warm and serve.

the beef broth gives the soup such a good flavor.  also add 1 t of vodka to the soup.  you can't taste it but the tomato has a flavor compund in it that can on;y be released by adding vodka.

That sounds delicious! Will try with vodka too. I bet it makes a good base as well

I watch my sodium intake and have found packaged soups to be a huge culprit. I make my own now with the no salt added broths. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of the soup packets. It's easy to make a Taco soup that always turns out with a great flavor in the slow cooker with leftovers that can be frozen for later.

1 package of cooked sausage or Taco seasoned meat (or just brown a pound of ground beef)

1 can black beans, drained

1 can pinto or northern beans, drained

1 can Rotel

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can corn, drained

1 package taco seasoning

1 package Ranch dressing seasoning

1 Tbsp diced dried onion (or diced fresh onion)

1 small can drained sliced black olives (optional)

1 cup of water

I like this because it has good-for-you veggies/beans, and doesn't take long to put together. I cook on low for about 3 hours. I guess if this isn't quick enough, then Campbell's makes some great heat and eat soups, or my favorite Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Which grocery stores carry Bear Creek soup?

Contributor

I served Bear Creek potatoes soup in my tearoom for many year. People were always asking for the recipe lol. I told them it was a secret recipe lol. The recipe was a packet of Bear Creek and water.15 min soup .

Contributor

Most store have it .Walmart carries it.