Honored Contributor

gnocchi for the first time---YUM!!!!

Does anyone use the RANA brand of fresh stuffed pastas? I do all the time and they are truly delicious!! Now I see that there is fresh gnocchi and a couple of pasta noodles too. So I bought both to try. Made the gnocchi last night--my first time ever cooking or eating---and they were fabulous!! Pan fried them in butter than made a parm-spinach sauce to go over top!!!  there are a few sauces too but not really a fan---but oh the gnocchi Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: gnocchi for the first time---YUM!!!!

@wagirl wrote:

Does anyone use the RANA brand of fresh stuffed pastas? I do all the time and they are truly delicious!! Now I see that there is fresh gnocchi and a couple of pasta noodles too. So I bought both to try. Made the gnocchi last night--my first time ever cooking or eating---and they were fabulous!! Pan fried them in butter than made a parm-spinach sauce to go over top!!!  there are a few sauces too but not really a fan---but oh the gnocchi Smiley Very Happy

Hi I grew up with my Italian grandmA making Gnocchi for the holidays.  Best ever.  My job was to roll the dough down the form to make the imprint
@on the dough.  Was tough to make the back in the 40,s.  All from scratch  and a certain kind of potato had to be used.

Glad they have easier ways Today.  ENJOY.  I MISS HERS

Honored Contributor

I haven’t tried the gnocchi, but the prosciutto and cheese tortellini, mushroom ravioli, and pappardelle are really good. I haven’t tried the sauces because I either make my own or use Rao’s.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

Hi I grew up with my Italian grandmA making Gnocchi for the holidays.  Best ever.  My job was to roll the dough down the form to make the imprint
@on the dough.  Was tough to make the back in the 40,s.  All from scratch  and a certain kind of potato had to be used.

@qvcaddition  I did too!! We had it for special occassions.  It is very time consuming making these.  

Honored Contributor

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, their gnocchi is very tasty.

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

@qvcaddition  I did too!! We had it for special occassions.  It is very time consuming making these.   

So did I!!  My mother and Italian grandmother made them quite often.  They would roll the dough in many really long snakes ( as long as my grandmother's table) and my sister and I got to make the thumbprint and roll them.  That was fun!  I make them occasionally now but just not as fun as back then - but still delicious.  I have never found  store bought ones to be as tasty though and I have found only 1 restaurant where they are really authentic.  I never heard of the Rana brand but if I find the I surely will try them.  

Respected Contributor

my mil has bought that brand before and it is very good. but not gnocchi. i have had gnocchi before. i have bought frozen years ago and once in awhile my wife makes them home made and sometimes she does them with sweet potatos and those she makes an alfredo sauce.

Honored Contributor

Here's Antonella's Gnocchi & Red Sauce recipes if anyone is interested.

Gnocchi

Ingredients:

2 eggs
8 oz. of ricotta cheese
About 3 cups of flour
Salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Preparation: 

In a large bowl, mix eggs, ricotta, and salt. Add flour in half-cup intervals, until you reach a doughy consistency. Flour your surface. Break the dough ball into 4 equal quarters. Roll each one out into a fine, long, 1/2-inch wide roll — about the width of a fork. Slice the roll into 1/2-inch links or segments. Take each segment and, starting at the top of the prongs, press a fork into the dough with your finger so it rolls down the prongs and takes on the indentation of the fork. You should also have a hollow section inside each one, with prong marks on the outside. Set them out to dry for about one hour on a cotton hand towel, covering with an additional hand towel. Bring water to a boil and add a quarter cup of olive oil and salt. Add gnocchi gently while making sure they're not sticking together. Test if done by slicing into one and seeing if they're cooked through. Add sauce and grated cheese.

Recipe provided by Antonella Nester.

Red Sauce for Gnocchi

Ingredients:

1 can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 stick butter
3 dashes of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine

2 cloves fresh garlic
1 full plant of fresh basil
Dash of oregano
1/4 cup freshly chopped chives
Salt and pepper

Preparation:

Warm everything in a pot, except for the fresh herbs. Add them about 5 minutes before you take the sauce off the heat. They'll wilt and burn out if you add them too early. Pour over pasta. Add freshly grated cheese, if desired, and serve. 

Recipe provided by Antonella Nester.

Respected Contributor

Oh butter always makes everything taste better.  I have had these with olive oil, sundried tomatoes, basil, richotta cheese

Respected Contributor

My Italian MIL used to make gnocchi but she made hers with potatoes.  Very tasty.