Occasional Contributor

I discovered a gluten free magazine at Sprouts today. It's gff   (Gluten-free forever) magazine. They have a holiday issue that features holiday food.

Honored Contributor

Re: gluten free

[ Edited ]

Be a label reader.  Gluten shows up in a lot of places where you may not expect it.  Udi's bread is OK, but IMO it's better when you toast it than fresh from the package.  Don't try using it to make a turkey stuffing.  A family member did that and the dressing more or less disintegrated - it was really awful and inedible.  Buy your pastas in the GF Section of the store.  I'm liking the brown rice pastas.  I'm using Namaste GF flour blend.  Baking often boils down to experimenting.  The Namaste measures cup for cup and works fabulously for Texas Sheet Cake, creamed soups, and gravy, but I just used it to make a Christmas yeast bread I've made several times before and it failed.  We ate it, because the ingredients were too expensive to just pitch it, but it wasn't even close to what it should have been.  

Trusted Contributor

I was diagnosed as celiac 5 years ago.  Since then I've tried my share of gluten free things.  If you have a Trader Joe's nearby,their gluten free stuff,for the most part,is delicious.  Right now I am  addicted to Candy Cane JoJo's!  That's Trader Joe's version of an Oreo,with a candy cane flavor. Their chocolate chip cookies,and chocolate chocolate cookies are yummy,too.  I used to bake but it was always a challenge to get the xanthan gum right.  Browse the aisles....you'll find lots of good stuff.

ps.  Their gluten free bread is the only one I'll eat. It's not gritty or sandpaper-like.  Looks like the real thing.  Good luck.

Occasional Contributor

Re: gluten free

[ Edited ]

KYToby wrote:

While I think there are a lot of people into gluten-free eating because it has become a fad (and very few people actually undestand what gluten is),, I do recognize there is a tiny percentage of people who must give it up.

I hope the OP holidays were a success for her and healthy for her guest. If your guest returns for other visits, the list of good wheat and gluten free products is enormous. The Internet is the friend of those of us with CD, NCGS and DH.

however, I see the ignorant comments of @KYToby continues. I stress to everyone else reading this topic that avoiding gluten is less of a fad and more of a means for many of us to take control of our health. Through education, more people are aware of what gluten and gliadin can do to our bodies. We know what it is. Your tiny percent of people with CD is 1 in 133 people here in the US. 30% of the population have NCGS. 

Through education maybe we can reduce the number of people who feel the way @KYToby feels.

Honored Contributor

Go to the library or a book store. There's a whole bunch of cookbooks to choose from now and foods at the market to get now. Much more now than years ago when it might have helped my mother.

New Contributor

Thank you for posting this website.  I am allergic to wheat and didn't even know this website existed.  There looks like a lot of great recipes too, thanks again Smiley Happy

Most recipes can be changed to gluten free if you watch your products for gluten or wheat. May check with to see if it is one or both. We make lasagna that with the gluten free noodles tastes Delicious! Watch for wheat and gluten in the tomato sauce and some of the seasonings also have gluten in them. Most beef and chicken can make with potatoes and vegies and salad dessert krusteaz has a really good brownie mix that does not taste gritty. It really does get easier with the gluten free cookbook and checking on pentris