Respected Contributor

I usually make these cookies with nut filling but maybe this year I'll try raspberry preserves. How do you make them?

Esteemed Contributor

I luv rugalachs --- my mom used to buy it at the bakery when I was young (didn't make it home-made). I just googled rugelachs - and Ina Garten's recipe came up.

Super Contributor

I've always made them with raspberry or other flavor jam, but when I buy them, I find that the ones at BJ's are hard to beat. They are fabulous IMO.

Occasional Contributor

I would like to have a recpie for it my self but i would like one with nuts in it

Than you ahead of time

Super Contributor

love it to .

Trusted Contributor

On 12/5/2014 ladynona said:

I would like to have a recpie for it my self but i would like one with nuts in it

Than you ahead of time

Rugelach is one of the best pastries there is. It's made with a cream cheese dough, which is also great for turnovers, hors d'oeuvres, strudels, etc. It can be made ahead and frozen. OP - when I do a jam filling, it's good to sprinkle with some cake crumbs or bread crumbs and ground nuts as the jam runs out a bit.

Ingredients should be weighed.

Cream Cheese Dough adapted from Practical Baking, 4th edition

8 oz. Cream Cheese

8 oz. Unsalted Butter

1 tsp. Salt

2.5 oz. Confectioner's Sugar

1 Tsp. Vanilla

8 oz All Purpose Flour

In stand mixer with paddle, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the Salt, Sugar and Vanilla, mix well. Add the flour and mix only until combined.

Let the dough rest 10-15 minutes. Turn onto a floured board and roll into a rectangle.

Roll into a rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Give the dough a 4-fold (fold the 2 short sides of the rectangle to meet in the center, fold in half again creating 4 layers.

How to do a 4-fold - 3 min video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQB_PqIBzA

Let the dough rest 5 minutes and do another 4-fold, repeat once more (3 4-folds)

(Most home recipes do not include the folding, but it makes a huge difference in the flakiness of the finished product.

Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour, or overnight, or freeze for later.

Roll out the dough about 1/8" thick and spread with filling. Traditional is cinnamon sugar, chopped walnuts and raisins, but do whatever you like. Cut the dough in triangles about 1 1/2" wide and 4" long. Roll up from bottom to point. Bake at 350.

Rugelach video from the Culinary Institute of America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIFL3aDty0

Trusted Contributor

I always use Ina Garten's recipe.

Respected Contributor
When we lived up North, I made it with every filling you can think of- apricot, chocolate chip with nuts, cinnamon and sugar, raspberry, fine chopped apples with cinnamon and brown sugar.... I love nuts and invariably, I used them, but of course you can omit them. I would so love to make these this year, but living in SW Florida it might be almost impossible. I would have to make it in very small batches and have lots of room in my freezer...which I don't have right now. Hopefully my DH is going to go to Boynton Beach to visit his dad and bring home an assortment from Flakowitz Deli! Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

Yum! I am inspired to do more baking. Just hope the old electric oven hangs in.

Cogito ergo sum