Valued Contributor

Does anyone use evaporated milk in their Mac and cheese? I am trying to make it creamy because mine needs help.

Honored Contributor

How about making a white sauce?

Super Contributor

Yes, I have an excellent recipe for Mac and Cheese made in a crockpot that does use evaporated milk. I'll put it here in case you or someone else would like it. A coworker brought this to a potluck several years ago, so it is actually her recipe. I loved it then and still love it, but don't make it very often because it isn't the healthiest thing we could be eating! My husband loves it also, but my son isn't as thrilled with it as we are, so not everyone loves it.

Crockpot Mac and Cheese

8 oz dry elbow macaroni, cooked

3-4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

13 oz can evaporated milk

1.5 cups milk

2 eggs

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

chopped onions to taste

1. Combine all ingredients, except 1 cup cheese, in greased slow cooker. Sprinkle reserved cheese over top.

2. Cover. Cook on low 3 hours. Do not remove the lid or stir until the mixture has finished cooking.

You can double and increase cooking time for large crockpots. 

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3.  Just to verify....you cook the macaroni before assembling the ingredients?  Seems like it would be mush if cooked + 3 hrs in crock pot. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

Does anyone use evaporated milk in their Mac and cheese? I am trying to make it creamy because mine needs help.

no

I make a white sauce then add the cheese,  it's fine

Trusted Contributor

I love the idea of using canned milk in macn'cheese, but have never tried it. I think I will, though, using fat-free. In the past, I have carefully folded an egg or two into MN'C before oven baking it. That really adds a richness to it.

Respected Contributor

I would think that evaporated milk would be a tasty addition. I'll try it. When I first make the mac and cheese according to the printed recipe on the box, the mixture looks runny. On the next night, the mac and cheese has thickened. Anyone else have this happen?

Super Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes, I cook the macaroni first, according to the directions on the box.  Then it gets added to the crockpot with everything else.  Has not been mushy that I can recall.  Once I forgot to cook it first and the macaroni was crunchy and not good.

Valued Contributor

yes . I always use evaporated milk and it will make your mac n cheese taste rich and creamy . 

cathy from ma

Trusted Contributor

Re: evaporated milk/M&C

[ Edited ]

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

@Kachina624  Yes, I cook the macaroni first, according to the directions on the box.  Then it gets added to the crockpot with everything else.  Has not been mushy that I can recall.  Once I forgot to cook it first and the macaroni was crunchy and not good.

@Wiscfan3,   You and I essentially have the same slow cooker recipe for mac and cheese except my version uses uncooked macaroni (and consequent cooks longer on the low setting).  Until I recently discovered this recipe, I could not make 'good' mac and cheese. 

CROCK POT MACARONI AND CHEESE

Cooking spray

2 eggs

1½ cups [dairy] milk

1 can evaporated milk

½ lb elbow macaroni

4 cups shredded cheddar, divided 3 cups + 1 cup

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

(Vabreeze adds: white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, parsley flakes and a scant hint of grated nutmeg; 1-2 TBS butter)

Coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat eggs with fresh and

evaporated milks. Mix in UNCOOKED macaroni and 3 cups shredded cheese. Stir in salt and pepper.

Transfer to oil-sprayed slow cooker, and sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. DO NOT STIR OR REMOVE LID while cooking.

Recipe from April 2019 Edisto Beach, SC Newsletter,    http://www.townofedistobeach.com