Super Contributor

I've never heard of putting eggs in stuffing. I'd like to try it

I make crockpot sausage stuffing. Never thought of adding an egg

Esteemed Contributor

Another who has never heard of adding egg(s) to dressing. I haven't ever made it in a crockpot either! Sounds like additional work.

It simply is prepared, then placed in the oven in the serving dish. Why dirty other large kitchenware and then place it in a serving dish? Keep it simple! Holidays are for family and guests to visit and enjoy the day.  Certainly not for the hostess to spend in the kitchen IMO.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you! 💕

I really think we would like that recipe.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Re: eggs in your stuffing?

[ Edited ]

I’ve been making stuffing for 40+ years and never added eggs.  The cooked onions and celery bind well with the dried bread.  Broth keeps it moist.  I guess I‘ve never read stuffing recipes much.  I may try it.

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45   My grandmother made her dressing exactly like you except she added crumbled cornbread.  Oh my, was it fabulous.  I'm not remembering a raw egg as a binder.  I don't think it was needed.  I've managed to recreate it fairly successfully...still not as good as hers was.

She also put finely chopped boiled eggs in her gravy.  I think that's a southern thang!  Mmm, mmm good.

Honored Contributor

Yes--a raw egg as the binder, then bake it separately.

Honored Contributor

We always had Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing.   

A lady known for homemade stuffing was selling it through her church one year, and I got some.  My family didn't like the fine texture at all.  I was very dense, I thought it was pretty good.

I never put eggs in my stuffing because it will hold together in a slice or to stuff and doesn't need them.

Honored Contributor

@Darlene G : My family dressing recipe very similar. My Mother always made her dressing early in November. She would make enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas. She would use the 9x13 disposable pans. She covered with several layers of foil and put in the freezer. I still do this. Her moto: to make a good dressing makes a big mess and therefore just do it once and be done.

Respected Contributor

@honeybeagle you mean like hard boiled eggs,or runny eggs?I use 1 egg to fold everything together,but never egg slices

Contributor

A raw egg. I have looked at several recipes for stuffing for Thanksgiving. All have celery, onion, and butter. About half add one or more raw eggs. I am confused on why and how this changes the recipe.