Valued Contributor

Hi all

One of my coworkers is looking for a basic breakfast egg dish. I've googled and a bunch came up, but they all have all kinds of spices and veggies. He wants one that has eggs, bread, cheese and bacon and or sausage.

Can you help me? I'm at work, so don't have access to my many recipes

TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

Well, you can't get any more basic than an omlet.

Why doesn't your co-worker do his own Google search for recipes?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Have your coworker Google frittatas. In those you can add anything and bake.Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Look up "strata" recipes.  It consists of bread, meat (ham, bacon, whatever), milk with some spices, and cheese.  Years ago I made it from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that my husband was given when he graduated from college.  There are basic ones and fancy.  Easy to make, but needs to sit for several hours, to overnight.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak I have good luck on Allrecipes and the upside is you can plug in what ingredients you would like to use/or not like to use.  There were a couple that were pretty basic but looked delicious and could be what he was looking for.  

This is also a recipe from QVC which is simple but delicious:

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
6-8 slices buttered bread
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 lb. bacon, diced, browned, and drained on paper towel
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
Remove crusts on bread and cut into 4 pieces. Grease 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the 2-inch squares of bread side by side to cover bottom of dish. Layer with cheese, then bacon. Mix egg, milk, and spices and pour over top. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 325° to 350°F for about 1 hour or so until top is brown and eggs are set.
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@cookinfreak I have good luck on Allrecipes and the upside is you can plug in what ingredients you would like to use/or not like to use.  There were a couple that were pretty basic but looked delicious and could be what he was looking for.  

This is also a recipe from QVC which is simple but delicious:

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
6-8 slices buttered bread
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 lb. bacon, diced, browned, and drained on paper towel
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
Remove crusts on bread and cut into 4 pieces. Grease 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the 2-inch squares of bread side by side to cover bottom of dish. Layer with cheese, then bacon. Mix egg, milk, and spices and pour over top. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 325° to 350°F for about 1 hour or so until top is brown and eggs are set.

How considerate of the poster to reply with this recipe.  My sincere thanks. and a very Merry Christmas.

Frequent Contributor

Since I CANNOT stand the texture of soggy bread in a breakfast bake I have one that is slightly different but really good.  Several people have commented that is is better than the bread recipes and although it calls for hot sausage and crushed red pepper, it is t spicy at all.  Just flavorful

one package O'Brien. Frozen shredded hash browns-thawed

14 eggs beaten

1 small can green chilis

1 tube Jimmy Dean hot sausage browned

1 cup milk

salt and pepper to taste

rushed red pepper if desired

1 cup cheddar cheese

stir all together and turn into a 9x13 baked for about an hour at 350 but keep checking after about 40 minutes in

Honored Contributor

This is the one I make. You can substitute bacon or ham for the proscuitto.

Fresh Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Prosciutto Strata

If you live near a Harris-Teeter, they have a Rosemary Olive Oil loaf in their bakery department that works perfectly for this recipe.  It's what I use instead of focacccia.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-mozzarella-sun-dried-tomato-prosciutto-strata

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN