Esteemed Contributor

Re: easy corn beef and cabbage recipe

@fthunt , you're right about the salt!

But Spam has even more sodium. About 30% more than my corned beef.

Corned beef from the deli is always very salty to me too. Much as I like it, I have to stick to measured portions. That's not an all you can eat dish.

There's usually a sort of jelled broth around the canned corned beef and if you scrape or rinse that off, the corned beef itself isn't that salty.

I wouldn't add any salt to the dish though. The meat has enough to season the cabbage and potatoes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I corned beef........we like the cheaper cut I think it is called point cut

! head of cabbage.....quartered

1 bag of whole carrots peeled and cut each one in half.

4 to six red potatoes peeled

8 cans of regular beer ........amounts vary to the amount of meat and  veggies are in the pot

pickling spice

Place the corned beef in a large pot and sprinkle approx a half of bottle of pickling spice.  Cover the entire corned beef with the beer and cover the pot. Bring to a slow boil and then simmer for about an hour. 

Add the carrots and again and bring to a slow boil and cover and cook for approx. 15 minutes and then add the potatoes and cook for 45 minutes to an hour,

Add the quartered cabbage and again bring to a slow boil with the lid on and cook for approx. 45 minutes or until the cabbage is done.

The beer really makes the dish!!!!  Enjoy 

Edited to say that I changed the cutting of the carrots.

Respected Contributor

The corned beef in cans fall apart if cooked with cabbage. You just end up with small pieces through it. Kind of like ground beef. I prefer to cook the real thing.

Honored Contributor

theres canned corned beef???? Have heard of c/b hash in a can ---sounds-------salty!!!!!

Honored Contributor

The process of brining and curing beef for a “corned beef” product, makes this meat high sodium content, period.   Whether it’s a fresh brisket, a canned product, or deli slices, all corned beef is high in salt.

Valued Contributor

I have a really stupid question about this. Do you chop up the corned beef or slice it or how do you do it. I have had corned beef and cabbage, but never made it myself cuz it's just me and to buy a corned beef is way too much. This recipe sounds so good. I would love to try it! TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak,
Canned corned beef tends to break apart when cooked with the cabbage, so I just break it apart when I put it in the saucepan.
Trusted Contributor

i just open the can and place it whole in the cabbage.  it can break apart so when i slice it,  i  do so very carefully

Trusted Contributor

it does tend to break aprt so when i do cut it, i do so very carefully.  alsdo when i bake it, i place the whole  thing in themiddle of the cabbage

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shortbreadlover 

I love your recipe!  It is perfect for one person and I woulldn't CHANGE a thing.  It is much too expensive to buy a corned beef and much too time consuming.  If I had a family to serve, then I would go ahead with the whole deal - but, for me, your recipe gives me a chance to have a traditional dimner witt minimal fuss.

Thanks again.

As always, not sure why those who don't like the recipes given here have to denigrate them!