Contributor

i wnat to try to learn how to make a frosting rose can any one give me any tips thanks very much

Respected Contributor

I think the easiest way to learn is to watch demomstrations on YouTube. you will find many there.

Contributor

yes ive been watching those there are so many different ways to make them been trying hadnt had any luck yet

Respected Contributor

@ladyboutwell   As others have said video dems are the best way to learn.  But some of the illustrated books are helpful, too. Don't get discouraged.  You just have to keep practicing.  

Sometimes I also bake a cake, make a batch of real frosting instead of the practice kind that you use over and over, and actually pipe the cake and the roses.

Knowing that it's not just "practice" but the real thing that significant other and I are going to eat helps me come closer to the mark.

Contributor

thanks i guess one of my problems is i dont really know how to make the icing

Contributor

this is the recipe i was using to practice with 1 cup powder sugar 1/4 cup crisco 1 two 2 tablespoon water 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Contributor

it might have been 1 two 2 teaspoons of  water cant remember exactly

Trusted Contributor

look up wilton.com and the website makebake and celebrate.com they will all giveyou a good idea on how to do it.  check your local pbs station to see if they have the bakedeocate show.  it is really a great program

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

TIP:   the roses get a bit floppy because when you put the frosting in the piping bag your hands heat causes the crisco to melt ... i had a special recipe for Royal icing. that involves merangue powder. when it dries the flower can become hard. or you can keep using it if you keep it in the firdge. I bought a simple kit from Wilton that had a video and some bags and tips, and a booklet. it was inexpensive and i taught myself.  check Michaels.

Trusted Contributor

@so so   I also use a small amount of merangue powder in my buttercream frosting when I'm piping on roses, works good for me.