Honored Contributor

We are having red beans & rice for dinner so I made corn bread muffins to go with it -I was thinking of sprinkling some shredded cheddar on the tops before I baked them -has anyone ever done that? or put cheddar in the batter? How did it turn out?

Honored Contributor

I kind of like the idea of putting it on top.   I bet that will come out well.

I do put extra sharp cheddar (that's my fav cheddar, anyway) IN the batter, when I make cornbread.  To be honest, however, it kind of just disappears into the mix.  I wonder if putting some on top would be a better idea.

Since I'm making mine in an 8" square, it bakes at 450F for around half an hour or something (not sure right now on the time), so maybe that's why it disappears so completely.  With muffins, of course, you are baking for much less time so that seems to create an advantage.  I think I'd try the 'putting the cheese on top' deal for that.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have put it in the batter, also - extra sharp cheddar for more flavor - and also thought that it disappeared.  I think if you put it on top (a good idea), that you should do it for only the last 5 or so minutes - just enough to melt it - otherwise, it would likely burn before the batter is cooked.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

TeezNu wrote:

I have put it in the batter, also - extra sharp cheddar for more flavor - and also thought that it disappeared.  I think if you put it on top (a good idea), that you should do it for only the last 5 or so minutes - just enough to melt it - otherwise, it would likely burn before the batter is cooked.

That (bolded by me) is a good idea.   Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We are having red beans & rice for dinner so I made corn bread muffins to go with it -I was thinking of sprinkling some shredded cheddar on the tops before I baked them -has anyone ever done that? or put cheddar in the batter? How did it turn out?

Hi 151949

I have made them both ways and find that when you sprinkle it on top at the start of baking them the cheese can get a little rubbery, especially for reheating leftovers. If I sprinkle it on top I wait until they are almost done so that it just melts.  I like to add different cheeses to the batter like pepper jack and diced green onion and bacon are also good mixed in the batter.  Enjoy sounds like a great dinner.

tkins

Honored Contributor

I decided to put chives in the batter for a mild onion taste and put sharp cheddar on top. They baked up beautifully - we haven't eaten them yet.The cheese did not burn - I was afraid it would as they bake at 425 deg.

Honored Contributor

They were great - just that little touch of the chives and the cheeses at the top. Yum.