Respected Contributor

so we're having a big easter brunch at church.  sorta potluck style. i got wrangled into the cinnamon rolls. 

i have a new bread machine, and have tried 2 different recipes, and so far i'm just not pleased. 

i have a rep, as being a excellent cook, and i just can't bring second rate rolls!  

i got the whole method down. but.... the dough is not sweet enough. and all the recipes i've seen just call for butter, sugar and cinnamon for the filling. (nuts and rasins optionl)

they come out dry, (IMO) and totally unexciting. boring.  not enough filling.

could i incorporated some cream cheese with the sugar and cinnamon to make them more moist and gooey?  

also when i bake them, they are just flat looking. 

i am going to do one more dry run, before sunday. 

i'm thinking about doing all milk instead of the water in the basic dough, 2 eggs, and probably about 1/2 cup sugar, also adding cinnamon into the dough. 

any other pointers someone can help me with. 

also going to do a cream cheese frosting instead of the regualr icing. how about some orange zest??? 

any suggestions would be appreciated. 

thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: cinnamon roll help situaton

Jim's Cinnamon Rolls

Yield: 1 Servings

FOR 1-1/2# LOAF AND 1# LOAF: -----------------------------------DOUGH----------------------------------- 3/8 c MILK; (1/4 C.) 3/8 c WATER; (1/4 C.) 1 EGG; (1 egg) 1 ts SALT; (1 tsp.) 4 tb BUTTER; (3 T.) 1/3 c SUGAR; (1/4 C.) 3 c ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR; (2 C.) 1 1/2 ts Red Star YESAST; 1-1/2 tsp. -----------------------------------GLAZE----------------------------------- 5 tb BUTTER; melted (3T) 1/2 c BROWN SUGAR; (1/3 C.) ----------------------------------FILLING---------------------------------- 1 tb Melted BUTTER; (1 T.) 2 tb Granulated SUGAR; (1 T.) 1 tb Ground CINNAMON; (1-1/2 tsp. 2 tb BROWN SUGAR; (1 T.) 1/2 c RAISINS; (1/3 C.) The following rolls are SO good. Sometimes instead of using Cinnamon I turn them into ORANGE rolls by using a combination of grated orange rind and suger.... source: THE BREAD MACHINE MAGIC BOOK OF HELPFUL HINTS by: Lois Conway and Linda Rehberg (1) Place all ingred. in bread pan, (2) Dough setting, press start (3) When dough has risin long enough, the machine will beep (4) Turn off the machine, remove bread pan. (5) Turn out dough onto a floured countertop or cutting board. For 1-1/2 pound DOUGH: Pour the melted butter for the glaze into one 9x13x2 inch pan or two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans; sprinkle with brown sugar. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a 9x18 inch rectangle. For 1 pound DOUGH: Pour the melted butter for the glaze into one 9" round or square cake pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a 9x14 inch rectangle. For the FILLING: (1) Brush melted butter on the dough (2) In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar, and raisins; (3) Sprinkle over dough. (4) Starting with long edge, roll up dough; pinch seams to seal. (5) With a knife, lightly mark roll into 1-1/2" sections. (6) Slide a 12" piece of dental floss or heavy thread underneath. (7) By bringing the ends of the floss up and crisscrossing them at the top of each mark, you can cut through the roll by pulling the strings in opposite directions. (8) Place rolls cut side up in prepared pan(s). (9) Flatten them slightly. (Rolls can be coverd w/foil at this point and refrigerated or frozen for 1 month. Before baking, allow rolls to thaw completely and rise in a warm oven for at least 30 minutes.) (10) Cover/let rise in a warm oven 30-45 minutes till doubled. (Hint: To warm oven slightly, turn oven on Warm setting for 1 minute, then turn it off, and place covered dough in oven ro rise. Remove pan(s) from oven to preheat.) (11) Preheat oven to 350?. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. (12) Remove from oven and immediately invert rolls onto a large platter or serving dish. Serve warm. 1-1/2 pound dough yields 12 rolls, 1 pound dough yields 9 rolls

This is the recipe I use and my hubby loves them.  Hope this may help.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I don't hate any of your ideas.

This is my Cinnamon Roll Recipe & I must say, it is popular.

Cinnamon Rolls

1c water

2T butter

3c bread flour

1/4c sugar

1t salt

2 1/2t yeast or 1 packet

Measure all ingredients into bread machine with the water & butter on the bottom & the yeast on the top & set on dough cycle.

Prepare filling.

1/3c sugar

2t cinnamon

2T softened butter

Flatten dough w/ hands or rolling pin into a 9” square on a floured surface. Spread the softened butter on the dough & sprinkle cinnamon & sugar mixture.

Roll dough up tightly; pinch edge if dough to seal. Cut into 1” slices. Place in pan. Cover & let rise in warm place for 1-1 ¼ hrs until double in size.

Heat oven to 375*. Bake 20-25 mins. Remove from pan to wire rack. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.

Linda’s Buttercream Frosting

4T butter

2c powdered sugar

1t vanilla

2T warm milk

Mix ingredients & mix the heck out of them until smooth.

I usually roll my dough out larger, 12X12. And, I use dental floss to cut the rolls. I still use my air bake 9X13 pan. I underbake my rolls by a couple of minutes. I don't like them dry.

These are my roll secrets & I have the rolls to prove that they are good.

Esteemed Contributor

Wink...................is there a bakery (store) near you?    Go relax with your favorite bunny.

Esteemed Contributor

I was looking for a recipe too and Cook's Country has two.  One has a brioche style dough which may give you the sweetness in the roll itself that you're looking for.

If you don't belong to CC there are plenty of sites that have reposted this.

Valued Contributor

I watched Giada make cinnamon rolls this morning Season 4 Episode 13 and I have made Valerie Bertinelli's recipe for Christmas Cinnamon rolls at least 4 times.  They are terrific.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo 

Clone of a Cinnabon
  • Prep

20 m
  • Cook

15 m
  • Ready In

3 h

Ingredients
  • 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup margarine, melted
  • 4 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
  2. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Roll dough into a 16x21-inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  4. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

Honored Contributor

Google soft moist and gooey cinnamon buns from Allrecipes.Uses a bread maker and also a box of vanilla pudding in the dough...best I ever made and people loooove them,Very moist.

Respected Contributor

i love the pioneer woman's recipe for cinnamon rolls. it makes a lot. it doesn't use a breadmaker but it's an easy recipe. i will try a cream cheese frosting next time, though.

Respected Contributor

@kittylooAlso, use good cinnamon. It doesn't have to be Penzey's, but their's is really good.

McCormick & Spice Island are good, too. 

Make sure your cinnamon is fresh. I know if you don't bake much, that cinnamon may have been in the cupboard for a couple of years (Or more) & you don't even think about it.