Honored Contributor

Re: church auction cake/casserole fundraiser ideas

@kittyloo - This one has always been a hit at our church  bazaars, and it will hold up in the heat.

Pound Cheesecake

Cream together 2 sticks butter or margarine, 8 oz. cream cheese, and 2 cups sugar. Add 2 cups Bisquick, 1 tsp. vanilla, and just a dash of salt. Add 6 eggs - one at a time - mixing well after each egg is added. Pour into a large Bundt pan and bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn out when cool.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo   Make a pound cake, hopefully you have a good recipe for one.  The Southern Living Cream Cheese Pound Cake is very tasty. I guarantee you, it will sell.  People love pound cakes.

Respected Contributor

Does it have to be a cake?  How about banana nut bread?  I use the recipe on the Bisquick box.  I made it plenty of times for my daughter's school.  Always sold.  Teachers started buying it, always received compliments.

Valued Contributor

Morning all!

I have made Paula Deens brownie recpe. Its a box brownie mix, pour half the batter into the pan, lay 3 large Symphony candy bars (with almonds & toffee) across the pan, then top with remaining batter and bake as usual. Very tasty!

cookin

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@kittyloo    When you say you are in an entirely new region--where are you--New England, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Pacific Northwest . . . and do you mean that your experience in this new region is that if folks aren't familiar with a dish they won't eat it?

If you give us some clues maybe we can come up with some recipes to help you.  Sounds like a fun function. 

Can you let us know what the people in your church who have run this function before tell you how they appropriately and safely kept dishes hot or cold?  That will help guide the decision as to what you can make and bring safely and successfully.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

we are in the NE corner of louisiana.  things will be refrigerated until the actual auctioning.  my friend said its about 50/50 dessert and casseroles. 

i am hoping to pick up some venison meatballs or meatloaf.  Around here, everyone has a freezer full of venison. (cept us, this year)

Respected Contributor

@bronxgal1 wrote:

HI-- I have ALWAYS made a cheesecake for fund raisers -auctions. The cheesecake barely made it on to the tabe--and it was SOLD!!----LOL!

i was actually considering a cheesecake pretty seriously. thinking about a chocolate cheesecake. it will have to be garnished beautifully to be desired i'm sure.  drip choc  ganache around the edges, and maybe ring with chocolate bar squares??? 

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

I would ask questions , such as the concerns you have raised as to if they will refrigerate  all the casserole items. If they will refrigerate , I'd make something like cowboy beans with hunks of beef or pork . Or make meat balls with  stuffed shells  . Of course need to  be placed in a fridge .  Since groceries are so expensive now, I'd put some meat in it so it can feed a family with children.

oooh, the beans are a good idea. i make great beans. i used smoked pork neck to make the broth, and then pick the meat. 

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak   this sounds delish.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@kittyloo    When you say you are in an entirely new region--where are you--New England, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Pacific Northwest . . . and do you mean that your experience in this new region is that if folks aren't familiar with a dish they won't eat it?

If you give us some clues maybe we can come up with some recipes to help you.  Sounds like a fun function. 

Can you let us know what the people in your church who have run this function before tell you how they appropriately and safely kept dishes hot or cold?  That will help guide the decision as to what you can make and bring safely and successfully.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

we are in the NE corner of louisiana.  things will be refrigerated until the actual auctioning.  my friend said its about 50/50 dessert and casseroles. 

i am hoping to pick up some venison meatballs or meatloaf.  Around here, everyone has a freezer full of venison. (cept us, this year)

@kittyloo I would do a good old Southern Living King Ranch Casserole in a aluminum pan, and include a small bottle of hot sauce and a package of tortilla chips with it as a bonus.  I'll bet that one would be a winner!  You can even make them with good canned white meat chicken--like Sams or Costco ones.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo You can make this smaller, substitute diced tomatoes for the ones with peppers, use salt reduced or free or low fat soups, it is a forgiving but delicious casserole!  Make half and do an 8 x 8 dish even.  I have done that and reduced things and used the whole amount of chicken, one can of soup, etc.

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

We bet that after one taste of this rich, creamy King Ranch casserole recipe, you'll be hooked too. It also travels well, making it a great choice to take to a covered-dish dinner.
Prep:
35 mins
Cook:
35 mins
Total:
1 hr 10 mins
Yield:
Makes 6 to 8 servings
King Ranch Chicken Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and next 7 ingredients; remove from heat.

• Step 2

Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third of tortilla pieces in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.

• Step 3

Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.

• Step 4

Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed.