Honored Contributor
My mom always told me that my dad, retired military, banned SOS from ever being served in our house. 😂
Respected Contributor

Funny you should bring this up.  I've never had chipped beef before.  I was at a brunch in Vermont over the weekend and they served It.  They added sliced hard boiled egg into the gravy as well.  Home made biscuits too.  It was GOOD!

Respected Contributor

When I was growing up my mom made hers with that Buddig Beef.

She thinly sliced it, made her own cream gravy. It was yummy, yep!

My husband found a recipe for it awhile back and tried it - the cream gravy 

had more flavor but he used the beef the same as she did.

One of us will get in th mood for it once in awhile...

hmmm.., now you  got me thinking about it...

It sounds likes everyone has their versions of this, doen’t it? Yep.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

Re: chipped beef in chicken dishes

Dried chipped beef doesn't always have to be served "on a shingle".

For years, chicken recipes have featured this chipped beef as an ingredient, including the now-famous "company chicken casseroles", of which there are many variations.

Look them up.  I made this once, lining the casserole dish with some dried chipped beef that had been desalted first by soaking in water briefly.

Don't knock it until you've tried it, using one of the possibly hundreds of chicken/dried beef recipes available on the internet.

Respected Contributor

I've held my tongue long enough.  There is one poster who posts on many of the forums who is ALWAYS negative.  In fact, I can read a post and know immediately who wrote it without even looking at the name.  Unless asked for an opinion, I wish if something nice couldn't be said, that this person would say nothing at all.  I really wonder if she has been this way for so long, that she doesn't even know she's this way?  She should go to her profile and look at all her comments.  She will see that they are 99% all negative or critical.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg 

Know what and who you mean.  More than one, however, exists in these forums.

Honored Contributor

I had that too, when I was a kid. Put it over toast .

Respected Contributor

@Carmie Did you happened to notice if they have a lower sodium dried beef ?

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo I make it with Albacore tuna and healthy choice cream of mushroom soup.I had enough for 3 meals. So good, with lots of fresh black pepper.And so easy.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 I also make it with ground beef, and healthy choice cream of mushroom soup, and serve over toast, biscuits , bagel halves or english muffins.