Honored Contributor

No, never heard of them. I know Wendy's has good chili though. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have them in grocery stores in the St. Louis area, although they're not frozen and they're in plastic sleeves like some of the major brand breakfast sausages. I've tried them in the past, but thought they were just okay as a base. I use Chili Man Chili seasoning packets with the usual chili ingredients.

Respected Contributor

around here, the chili brick is coarser grind of ground beef, along with the seasonings. sometimes, you may see by the ground beef, they have "chili grind". 

you add beans, or not, and tomato product. 

i live on the west coast BTW

Honored Contributor

I always just thought they were bad chili, like most canned chili.  But then I have never had chili from one.

My favorite chili is the Wick Fowler 2-Alarm seasoning packets that use 2 lbs of ground beef.  All the spices are in separate little packages in the little box so you can customize it as you want.  

I love it so much I measured all the spices and seasonings and now I can make my own like it.  I always use very lean beef and sometimes at the request of others some canned and rinsed dark red kidney beans.

Valued Contributor

I Have been buying chilli bricks for years. In my area they are usually made by specific people that make chilli or have a store. Where I live we like Tavern chilli. So usually someone who has owned a tavern  several years ago usually had a chilli recipe. I get mine from an old Italian man  whos family owned a tavern in our area for years and years and years. They made a recipe for chilli bricks. I call him, he makes them usually in a small rectangular baking pan such as a bread pan. Its made of suet, ground beef, and spices and other secret things.He puts them in the frig and they set up and then its time to wrap them and then the orders get picked up. He sells these bricks to alot of lake clubs, businesses and homes. All I have to do is add chilli beans which we recommends I boil myself. Melt down the chilli brick and add the beans and its ready to go and boy is it good and I mean really good.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

Oooof..

Beef & beef hearts....and

Mechanically separated chicken

Had to Google that one.

It’s the ‘Pink Slime’ which was in the news yrs ago.

oh my. 

0FDFCC24-0F2F-47EC-BF71-A96E92D5A45F.jpeg

ECBD8FDB-F873-48B0-80B0-B19C7FB83659.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: chili bricks

[ Edited ]

No we have never used those chili bricks.

DH just made a batch of chili today while I put up the Christmas Tree. He uses top sirloin with lean chili grind hamburger from the meat market.

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound top sirloin, cubed
  • 1 pound lean chili grind hamburger meat 
  • 1 ½ cups diced onion
  • 1 ½ cups jalapeno peppers or bell peppers diced
  • 1 Bottle of beer (used Shiner Bock tonight) 
  • 1 5-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup beef stock 
  • 1 cup coffee (strong is best)
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon heaping of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon heaping of coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans
  • 1 15-ounce cans white beans
  • 5 large carrots, chopped into discs 

1. In large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over med. heat and brown meat, sirloin chunks first then ground.
  2. When meat is lightly browned, throw on the onions.
  3. Take two large sips from the beer.
  4. Add remaining beer plus, tomatoes, beef stock, coffee and tomato paste.
  5. Add sugar, spices and kidney beans. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for an hour.
  6. Add white beans and carrots simmer for another hour or two; longer will be better. Season as needed.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the St. Louis area.  We have a brand of sausage that also use to make a chili brick called R. B. Rice.  My DM mother used to use this on occasion when she was in a hurry to make a pot of chili.  I used it to make chili cheese dip with it but  the R. B. Rice company stopped making their chili brick years ago.  I have not found any other that is as good as theirs was, so no, I do not use it to make chili or chili cheese dip, but maybe would if they would reconsider making it. 

Honored Contributor

Down here in Tx that's all you can find. They're great ! Up in Ind we called them chili rolls. In Tx. they're square bricks. I tried to make chili without them and it just tasted flat and awful like some kind of vegetarian fare.

I only eat chili in winter and fix once a month is all , so, I can excuse using the brick just once a month . LOL (lots of fat in them)

Trusted Contributor

i sue them when everi make chili  i'mglad to know that someone else uses them too.