Valued Contributor

I want to make caramel apples without all the junk on the outside like chips etc  Do any of you have a rich recipe that I could use  I remember Mrs P years ago  They just had caramel and smooth chocolate 

Honored Contributor

So many things now in the food world are simply a hot mess.  Everything is smashed together, nobody worries about if flavors compliment something, just pile it on high and add some sprinkles and make sure the whole mess is half sugar.

I agree with you 100 percent!  So many people don't appreciate good food products now because they have never fasted the basic flavors.  Everything is loaded with sugar, hot sauce, hot peppers, or more sugar.  Add some chocolate and green tea and kale and Tabasco and top it all off with icing or syrup.

Honored Contributor

I too prefer a simple caramel- or chocolate-covered apple.  I don't care for the way Mrs. Prindables' are plastered with candy and nuts.  That's overkill - too much of a good thing.

Honored Contributor

I've heard many stories about attempts to make caramel apples and the caramel sliding right off of the apples.  I've wondered what the secret is?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I too prefer a simple caramel- or chocolate-covered apple.  I don't care for the way Mrs. Pringles' are plastered with candy and nuts.  That's overkill - too much of a good thing.

@ValuSkr. I consider Mrs Prindibles an effective way to ruin a perfectly good apple.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't have a recipe, but maybe there would be one on the caramels packaging.

Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie wrote:

I want to make caramel apples without all the junk on the outside like chips etc  Do any of you have a rich recipe that I could use  I remember Mrs P years ago  They just had caramel and smooth chocolate 

Google "Allrecipes" caramel apples, that's the recipe I use. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have a recipe, I just don't have the energy or interest to make them anymore.

That TSV was an easy pass for me. I don't want sprinkles, unmelted chips or crushed toffee or Oreo on my apple. I want plain apple, caramel, and some type of nut. I also don't need a box of ten. Other food items are usually sold in two amounts. I might have purchased a box of five, but I don't come into contact with ten people in a week anymore. Things are different this year.

I just wish they would offer the apples from Savannah's Country Kitchen. They sell their cakes, they're selling their gophers, wish they sold more items. SCK apples are large Granny Smith, covered with caramel, then rolled in nuts, then dipped in chocolate. The nuts are held in place and don't fall off as easily as on others. Only problem is that they can be pricey.

Sorry I got off topic. I've just been debating whether to order them.

Respected Contributor

Purchase a bag of Kraft Caramels and follow the direction...

Purchase a bag of Kraft Caramels and follow the directions on the back of the package.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

If you don't mind a quick and easy solution : Kraft used to make caramel sheets that you can wrap around the apple...sticks included....at your supermarket it should be near the apples...we did it a few times when I was kid..ok about 35 years ago...they wer genius and I cannot imagine why they wouldn't be sold any more !