Respected Contributor

so in the past it has been discussed about how now cake mixes are slightly smaller. i've never given it much thought, and always thought when others have mentioned it, that what difference does it make? so your cake is a few oz. smaller. 

well today, i am making a special bd cake for dh.and am using some specialty cake pans that have a trough in them to fill the finished product.  i make the mix, pour in into the pans, and the batter barely covered the well portion!!!  as i had a disaster unmoulding the one pan, i made a second box of batter to remake the one layer. 

yup... the one box made probably made a addional 1/2 cup of batter in the single layer. 

so the moral is unless you want thin little layers when making a layer cake, use 2 boxes.

Honored Contributor

No change for me, I always bought two boxes of cake mix anyway.  I make cupcakes with any leftover batter.  But I always have enough for whatever cake pans I'm using.

Esteemed Contributor

In case it is helpful, this semi-recent thread provides some good tips on adjusting recipes to accommodate the smaller cake mixes:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/Converting-cake-recipe-because-of-smaller-boxes-of-cake-mix/m-p...