Esteemed Contributor

Re: before you buy a cookbook

I don't understand why anyone would throw a nice cookbook in the trash so that it ends up in a landfill. Please, at least take it to a charity that accepts donations and let it have a 2nd life. Personally, I no longer buy cookbooks....I'm 70 and have had enough of them to fill a small library in earlier years. I no longer need them, and if I need a recipe I go to the internet. It keeps me from accumulating more stuff! Every one of my recipe books were sold in garage sales or donated to various charities.

Honored Contributor

I was glad for this topic!  It reminded me to check at the library and also at thirft shops!!  I was just online looking for cookbooks with easy recipes for low cholesterol recipes.  I know I can look on-line for recipes but somehow to me, this gets tedious --- looking here, looking there, etc.  I'd rather have a nice book or 2 and then mark the pages that I feel are really good and I love them even more if they have nice pictures!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love cookbooks.  My daughters think that I'm a bit silly because I like to read cookbooks.  I really didn't know how to cook when I first was married.  Now, I'm a pretty good cook.  So since I enjoy cookbooks, I have quite a few.  I usually read the reviews on Amazon.  There are a lot of reviews posted on Amazon so I find that helpful.  There is also a quick preview which includes the table of contents.  I find that very helpful.  Then, I look for a used copy that is in good condition.  I usually save at least 50% and often a lot more.  I have also found very good cookbooks at library sales.  Since I love to cook and most people don't, there are always a lot of cookbooks available. 

Honored Contributor

I've been doing the library thing for years----and have gotten rid of about 3/4 of the many cookbooks I had---and if a recipe has more than 6 ingredients--I don't cook it. Am over  cooking extravenent  meals and opt for easy as I can go. And I can store new recipes on Pinterest and on my tablets/pc.