Trusted Contributor

check to see if your local library has a copy.  many times they do.  and i find thatyou use only one or two recipes from a cookbook

Respected Contributor

Re: before you buy a cookbook

@shortbreadlover Excellent tip.  I do try to do that, too, since I already have such a large collection.  Thanks for reminding me.

Esteemed Contributor

Good advise and good timing!   While waiting for dinner to cook I went through a rather expensive and thick cookbook I bought from QVC.  I found about 6 dishes easy and of interest.  Tired of warehousing dumb things I don't use - - I tore out the recipes (yes actual pages) that I like and balance of book = in the trash on Friday.  Almost all dishes require 25..... TWENTY-FIVE ingredients!   If more than 6 things are required, I order pizza.  (no joy in cooking here)

Honored Contributor

I just use online recipes for everything now.I had so many books that by the time I found a recipe I didn’t feel like cooking anymore.I put all of my books in one of those help yourself libraries that someone built on the side of a road.

Honored Contributor

And if you do want to own books, be sure to search out a good thrift shop in your area.  I'm amazed by the number of nearly new books at a shop near me -  non-fiction and fiction.  You might get lucky.

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadloverExcellant idea.  I Love my cook books. Enjoy turning the pages and writing in the margins  BUT I don't have room for cookbooks that don't pull their weight in my kitchen.  Checking a cookbook at the library helps me decide if I will use it or not before spending my money.  and Yes I Do have my favourites written down in a favourites book.

Honored Contributor

Since the internet, I quit buying cookbooks, unless signed by the author.

Frequent Contributor

Absolutely! I usually checkout one cookbook every month and very rarely do I find one I would consider a keeper. I prefer print cookbooks because of the full color pictures and random information found in many of them today. Plus, I just prefer good ole print books in general.

Respected Contributor

I check on line to see if recipes from a specific cookbook and author is available......

Honored Contributor

I regularly check cookbooks out of the library.  If I find a recipe I like I will make a copy of it.  If I really love the book I will purchase it.  The last one I purchased was a cookbook from Daphne Oz.