Super Contributor

almond bark vs white chocolate

I want to make a very simple recipe, and it calls for white chocolate, I was wondering if I could substitute almond bark? Are they pretty much the same, as when they dry, they get hard? The recipe is to get graham crackers and cut them in squares and dip in the white chocolate and lay on wax paper, and while wet, sprinkle the tops with crushed peppermint candies. I had some last week at a local store, and they were quite good. I have used almond bark before but not the white chocolate. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: almond bark vs white chocolate

@nanny24- Almond Bark can be used as a substitute for chocolate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

but does it taste the same as white chocolate? guess maybe all the almond bark I tried was too waxy or fatty and left a coating on my tongue--maybe it was cheap. and how does it come? Is  the wafers or in a block?

Super Contributor

I've never used the white chocolate this way, am wondering, too, if it will dry the same way as almond bark, as the bark has wax, I guess to help harden. I have bought the bark in squares in a pack of 10 or 12. I really like the taste of it, as far as the almond flavor.

Honored Contributor

I've often made candy using both the white and regular chocolate almond bark.  It hardens just like any other chocolate.  One quick treat is to melt in microwave, add a large can if mixed nuts and turn out on waxed paper in a single layer then break up when cool.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Almond bark is easier to work with and will produce a sturdier finished product.

Esteemed Contributor

For dipping I use a meltable chocolate (milk choc or white choc). I use the almond bark when I'm making a "candy" item. I have had good luck w/ the Ghiradelli white chocolate to use to dip cookies, pretzels and strawberries.

I think you could use either w/ good success for adding peppermint (candy cane) crunch to cookies.

white choc.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

but what does the almond bark taste like?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd be comfortable substituting white almond bark for any simple candy recipe which calls for white chocolate. As one poster said, the almond bark is a little easier to work with (no "seizing," either), and yields a firmer product. I think it sets up quicker, too, which is why it's popular for candy-making.

I like to mix white almond bark with honey-roasted peanuts and, just in case that isn't sweet enough 😀, sprinkle with just a bit of red and green sugar for Christmas. Almond bark is perfect for clusters.

What worries you masters you.