Respected Contributor

Re: ? about self rising flour

Use it for anything you would use all purpose flour for, just don't add any leavening or salt.    I use it for anything I bake.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

So what is its purpose ? got it substituted for bread flour with my grocery pick up. 

Self rising flour is not for bread that requires a yeast. But you can use it for a lot of other different things just remember it is all purpose flour that has the baking powder and salt already added. It's good for biscuits, waffles, muffins, non-yeast breads, and I even use it in gravy. Just don't forget it has salt in it already.

@Bhvbum Excuse please. 

@wagirl 

All purpose is plain flour. 

Self rise has baking powder and salt.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I use self-rising flour for my biscuits, pancakes, and corn fritters. It's typically a softer flour because of the recipes you use it in, so it's not a great substitute for bread flour. The big issue in using it in place of all-purpose flour is the salt. You'll want to leave the salt out of the recipe if you try to substitute. And if the recipe doesn't call for a leavener, the baking powder shouldn't affect the recipe too much. A little baking powder isn't a big deal in most recipes. If you're using the self-rising flour as part of a breading the self-rising may even be better due to the baking powder.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It makes life easier....

1-2-3- Sugar Cookies 

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups self rising flour       

Measure the flour into a bowl and set aside. 
In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and the sugar.
Once smooth, add the eggs, vanilla and combine well.
Add the flour to the butter/egg mixture a little at a time.
Mix until the dough is smooth and flour is fully incorporated. 

Cover the dough with plastic wrap so that it is touching the surface of the dough OR wrap in plastic wrap.
Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Overnight is fine too. If you want to freeze the dough, you can do so at this stage.

I like to roll into balls and smash with a glass dipped in sugar...no rolling and cutting!  Can use lemon or almond flavoring also!