Honored Contributor

So what is its purpose ? got it substituted for bread flour with my grocery pick up. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: ? about self rising flour

Good comparisons if all types of gloyrscsnd the ideal uses for each:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/a32057297/what-is-bread-flour/

https://joythebaker.com/2014/05/baking-101-the-difference-between-baking-flours/

There are many more articles discussing this. Google gave up many. I suggest when you order flour from a shopping service, you specify "no substitutes" so you don't get someone else's idea of your baking needs. 

Super Contributor

Quick breads can utilize self rising. Not yeast breads. Google is a good resource for learning more.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

I use it for cakes and for Buttermilk Bisquits.

BJChef, Meredith, has a No Roll Buttermilk Bisquit recipe on her web site that is FAB!

Very easy and no rolling and cutting.  It uses self-rising flour.

I also have a Beer Bread recipe that uses self-rising flour.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife   I use Meredith's biscuit recipe all the time and it's so good !!!

Honored Contributor

They shouldn't have substituted it because it is very different flour.  You can't just make anything with self-rising flour. 

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't pickup fun?  Just like Christmas, never sure what you will get.  

Since I also use flour for thicker, I would protest the self raising type.

Respected Contributor

Self-rising flour is a combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.

Bread flour does not contain baking powder or salt. It is also higher in protein. I would not substitue self-rising flour for bread flour in a recipe.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

So what is its purpose ? got it substituted for bread flour with my grocery pick up. 

Self rising flour is not for bread that requires a yeast. But you can use it for a lot of other different things just remember it is all purpose flour that has the baking powder and salt already added. It's good for biscuits, waffles, muffins, non-yeast breads, and I even use it in gravy. Just don't forget it has salt in it already.

Honored Contributor

I just made biscuts 15 minutes ago and had no self rising flour so had to add salt and baking powder but don't know how to use it for regular baking.