Honored Contributor

Re: Zucchini---what to do with it?

Spiralize to make zoodles (zucchini noodles) as a pasta alternative

Slice and saute as a side dish

Use long slices as a noodle replacement to make lasagna

Zucchini Boats- Slice in half, scrape out the seeds, fill with a thick browned ground beef & marinara mixture. Bake in the oven until flesh is fork tender. Top with shredded mozzarella and bake a few more minutes to melt.

Zucchini muffins or bread.
Honored Contributor

Cut zucchini in 3 in long wedges with yellow crook neck squash, sprinkle with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash, spray with olive oil, and roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

I like zuchini sliced somewhat thick along with yellow squash, and sauteed in a little butter until slightly crisp tender. Add a few basic seasonings (onion, garlic, salt. pepper) and it's delicious. A lot of people like to roast it in the oven, but I love it when it's just sauteed and a bit crisp.

Esteemed Contributor

Make minestrone or fried zucchini

Respected Contributor

I am not a huge fan of zucchini but found a good recipe a few weeks ago from "justalittlebit ofbacon".  I'm also a fairly lazy cook so I just cooked in batches in a dutch oven and then combined everything and baked. Also used hot italian sausage, removed the casing and browned. Original reciped calls for slicing sausage.

Zucchini Italian Sausage  bake 350 degree

1 lb sweet Italian sausage links

3-4 tbsp olive oil

1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced

kosher salt

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

4 cups marinara sauce

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

3 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil

Brown sausage on top of the stove and remove from pan. Then saute onion (7-8 min), add garlic and saute another 30 seconds - transfer onion and garlic to baking dish.Add olive oil to pan and saute zucchini in batches without overcrowding skillet - remove from skillet and transfer to baking dish . Add the sauce to the hot skillet and bring to a simmer. Pour sauce into baking dish, Add the sausage, oregano and thyme and mix well. Cover and bake casserole for 25 min. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and stir in. Bake for 5 min more. Remove from oven and let it cool uncovered for about 10 minutes. Top w/basil and serve. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We are huge fans of zucchini but always grill it - just toss on the grill with a tiny bit of EVOO and salt.  In the colder months, we do the same inside a cast iron grill pan.  So good. 

@Mj12 

We are almost alike. 

I cut zucchini like long dill pickle spears, place on a sprayed  aluminum lined bake sheet, spray the top, season, and roast at 400 degrees.  When done, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Yum!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Made my own self hungry for Zucchini Bread/Cake

Zucchini Cake-Bread

wet

2 eggs

½ C oil (I used extra virgin avocado) - scant

1 C sugar - scant

Vanilla & almond extract – generous

Also: 2 C grated zucchini (I just chopped coarsely in the food processor)

dry

1 ½ C flour + 1 tbsp. (I didn’t measure exactly)

½ salt

½ tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

½ C chopped nuts (I used toasted pecans) – generous

Preheat oven at 325 degrees. Prepare 8 x 8 cake pan.

Mix wet. Add dry, alternating with the zucchini.

Bake for about 40 minutes. (A loaf pan would take 40-60 minutes.)

The original recipe was doubled, which would yield 2 loaves in loaf pans. I just wanted to use one 8x8 pan. Anyway, the recipe would have called for 1 C of oil, but since I was using avocado for the first time, I cut that in half.

The cake is not dry, but not overly moist, like it would have been with the full cup of oil. And some may prefer a frosting, but I found it to be quite good, with just the right amount of sweetness that I like.