Trusted Contributor

Re: Zucchini---what to do with it?

I love zucchini pancakes.  I use the recipe off skinnytaste with the addition

oof some diced red peppers. Use for a dinner side, then next morning

have for breakfast topped with homemade apple butter.  Yum. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

In recent years - ZOODLES!  (zucchini noodles)

Several years ago I bought one of those gadgets to make noodles from vegetables.

My favorite is "my" version of a Greek salad - zoodles, olives, sardines or anchovies, roasted peppers, maybe some Feta cheese (and whatever else looks/sounds good at the moment) and a jar of Greek dressing.

Respected Contributor

@walker 

That's one of our favorites for yellow squash casserole, but I add some slightly precooked carrot slices to it, too.

No reason not to add some sliced zucchini to it, too.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Just bought a combined package of fresh zucchini and yellow squash.  Never have bought zucchini before, because I don't care for it.  Prefer yellow squash instead.

Maybe I'll find after all these years that zucchini isn't all bad.!!

I do several different dishes with yellow squash, but  never with zucchini.

Searching for input from anyone who uses that vegetable often. If you roast or broil or steam it, what seasonings do you use?  Any good casseroles which include it?

@novamc1   I would slice both types, in rounds, a little over a quarter inch thick and pan saute them with sliced onions.  We always had yellow squash in the garden when I was growing up, never zucchini, but nowadays I combine both with onions as above.  The end result is really tasty.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all for great suggestions.  

I think my first effort will focus on either stove-top grilling it or roasting it with butter mixed with olive oil, plus some herbs.

My traditional aversion to zucchini dates back to the days when we bought our first home and ambitiously created a small garden plot behind the garage for various veggies.

I couldn't believe those zucchini plants!   It got to the point that I'd come home from work, cautiously peek around the garage corner, and be shocked because every day brought bigger and bigger plants and eventually some gigantic zucchini.

I know you're supposed to harvest them when they're smaller, but it got to be a sport to see how big we could let some of them grow, even if we didn't eat them.

I soon learned that gardening was not a great hobby, especially when years went by and deer, groundhogs and other wilfdlife invaded and ate everything, including my tulips, hostas, and much more than my prized tomatoes and other veggie plants.

"Italian Garden Saute"  was my first try with homegrown zucchini and other vegetables back in 1980.  Stole the recipe from a butter carton. (Thank you, Land O' Lakes!)   Will copy it into a separate post in a minute or two.  We liked it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Zucchini dressing (or stuffing). 

Now I have to find the recipe! I recall it used Bisquick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's @Britbrit13 Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe. It's so moist & yummy. I make a chocolate glaze to put on top.

Zucchini Cake

3 c shredded zucchini
1 c oil
1 3/4 c Sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 c flour
4 tbs cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips about 1 cup
Mix all wet together till blended well. mix together dry and add to wet ingredients. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. bake at 350 35-45 min.

I like to add chocolate frosting or make it plain or and sprinkle with powder sugar......very good.

This is from AllRecipes. Don't remember if I made any changes to it or not. It's good.  

Zucchini Bread
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325°
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl.
  4. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well.
  5. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  6. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
I found this bar recipe online but have never made it. 
Zucchini Bars
1 c. honey
1/2 c. (canola) oil or butter
3 eggs
2 c. wheat flour
2 c. zucchini grated
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. quick oats
1 c. nuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix in order given. Beat well and pour into a 15" x 10" pan and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden

Enjoy!!!
Honored Contributor

Love the zucchini chocolate cake!

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  We love it grilled and in soups and of course zucchini bread, However, one of my favorite ways to use zucchini is making Mock Crab Cakes!! We make if Maryland style, with Old Bay seasoning. SO GOOD! There are lots of recipes out there to suit your taste.

BTW: When our kids were young, I grew yellow squash and zucchini. They argued the zucchini was better than the yellow squash, so one day we did a blind taste test. I cooked them exactly the same way, and they could NOT tell the difference!

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I just watched Sarah Moulton last night shred zucchini in a food processor, then drain & press out all the liquid, after which, she sauteed in a pan with onions & seasoning.

Pressing out the liquid was key, as she said it intensified & sweetened the flavor of the zucchini.

I'm anxious to try it this way.

There's also zucchini bread/cake, which is always good!

Julia Child grated it years ago.  I make it with onions as above.

Of course, you can always make pancakes too.