Trusted Contributor

Re: Zucchini---what to do with it?

@novamc1 - My mother did this and now I do, too. Slice the zucchini, about 3/4" thick slices, dip in a beaten egg (mixed with a little water,) then roll in cracker crumbs. Fry them in a little vegetable, or canola, oil until golden brown. They're good served warm, or even at room temperature.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I make oven fried zucchini.  Quarter lengthwise, dip in beaten egg and milk, coat with seasoned breadcrumbs. I like packaged Italian seasoned breadcrumbs.

Place on a foil lined baking pan and drizzle with a little oil. Bake till slightly browned-- 20 minutes at 375.

I have made it this way, too.  I line the baking sheet with parchment paper.  It turns our delicious.  Zucchini is so versatile....you can do a lot with it!

Honored Contributor

We are huge fans of zucchini but always grill it - just toss on the grill with a tiny bit of EVOO and salt.  In the colder months, we do the same inside a cast iron grill pan.  So good. 

Super Contributor

Years ago I attended a ladies meeting at church where the topic was all the things you could make with zucchini. The refreshment for the evening was a zucchini chocolate cake. It was delicious and the best part of the meeting. 

Esteemed Contributor

Zucchini is wonderful raw and the skin is fine too.

Cut up for a snack or in salad each day in season.

Honored Contributor

Zucchini Casserole

3 cups squash or zucchini, chopped

1 small onion 

1 can Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted 

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 pkg. Pepperidge Farm stuffing

1/3 cup butter, melted

Cut unpared squash/zucchini into bite-size pieces. Lightly cook in water and drain.  Mix stuffing with butter.  Mix all ingredients with half of stuffing mixture.  Put into a casserole dish and top with remaining stuffing.  Bake 25 minutes at 350 until brown and bubbly.

(I have not fixed this in awhile but it is good.  The original recipe also includes as optional...2 shredded carrots and small jar of pimentos.....I have not used those.)

Honored Contributor

I zoodle it (spiralize).  Saute lightly with a little oil, garlic & salt.  I use it as a bed for lots of things such as sea bass, chicken, chopped toms on top. and more.  Sub it for a carb free 'pasta'

Honored Contributor

@novamc1   My favorite thing to do with both Zucchini and squash is make a soup.  Cut both Zucchini and squash in cubes and  put in a large pot.  Add a large can or two of tomatoes, a cup or so of water and plenty of Italian seasoning.  Simmer until Zucchini and squash is soft (about a half hour).  Serve with freshly grated parm and maybe crusty bread.  

Respected Contributor

Stuffed zucchini. Involves ground meat (beef or turkey, etc.).  It's a whole meal.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Roast or grill it, or slice lengthwise and make a veggie lasagna!  You can do that with our without the pasta strips in it and it is great!