Honored Contributor

Re: Zucchini Noodles

[ Edited ]

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I have a peeler that I can use.   I hate to go out and buy some gadget.

Okay, now, any good recipes with the noodles? 

How do you work with them like pasta?

What kind of peeler? It won't work with a potato peeler, but you can use a julienne peeler.

I don't use a recipe. I toss some oil into a frying pan on medium heat, add some garlic and herbs, and then toss the noodles in there for about 2 minutes before I pour some spaghetti sauce over them and toss until the sauce is warm. You can find loads of recipes online or check YouTube.

If you like it and decide you DO want to try a special spiralizer tool, I did a ton or research before I bought my Paderno spiral slicer and found this video to be the most helpful in deciding which slicer was for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWELwaUMjkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWELwaUMjk  I got mine on Amazon when they had a special coupon code.

Honored Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

I make them all the time now, instead of using pasta. The noodles have good mouth feel so I don't miss pasta at all. They are so delicious with a meat sauce over top. I have a spiralizer that does a great job. There is also a julienne slicer too, that works well. I have sauteed them and boiled them; I think sauteing works the best. You need to use them right a way or they give off alot of water. I am going to try them in lasagna and also with an alfredo sauce. I usually use green zuchini and yellow summer squash together for nice color. I add garlic and salt/pepper and use olive oil in the pan. It takes maybe 5 minutes to cook them.

Wagirl...

Thanks... that explains a lot.  I'm going to do the saute and add some onions too.    I just couldn't comprehend how you make them soft like noodles.     Can't wait to try soon.   

I think adding onions would be really good too. just don't saute too long or they get too soft. And they don't get soft like a pasta remember, there is a slight crunch.