Trusted Contributor

I have no idea how to make zucchini noodles.   Do you have to have special equipment?    I hear so many of you talking about them, and I have no clue how to make them.

Thanks!!!!

Super Contributor

I just bought a tool to make zucchini noodles. It was about $14 at Bed Bath and Beyond. Works pretty well! It is a nice change of pace over sliced, sautéed zucchini.

Super Contributor

Suzanne Somers has a recipe for zucchini noodles as part of a low/no carb mac and cheese recipe in her Fast -n-Easy book.

Honored Contributor

I just cut the zucchini into thin slices with a knife and substitute them for lasagna noodles.  

Trusted Contributor

I have a peeler that I can use.   I hate to go out and buy some gadget.

Okay, now, any good recipes with the noodles? 

How do you work with them like pasta?

Honored Contributor

I make them all the time now, instead of using pasta. The noodles have good mouth feel so I don't miss pasta at all. They are so delicious with a meat sauce over top. I have a spiralizer that does a great job. There is also a julienne slicer too, that works well. I have sauteed them and boiled them; I think sauteing works the best. You need to use them right a way or they give off alot of water. I am going to try them in lasagna and also with an alfredo sauce. I usually use green zuchini and yellow summer squash together for nice color. I add garlic and salt/pepper and use olive oil in the pan. It takes maybe 5 minutes to cook them.

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I make them all the time now, instead of using pasta. The noodles have good mouth feel so I don't miss pasta at all. They are so delicious with a meat sauce over top. I have a spiralizer that does a great job. There is also a julienne slicer too, that works well. I have sauteed them and boiled them; I think sauteing works the best. You need to use them right a way or they give off alot of water. I am going to try them in lasagna and also with an alfredo sauce. I usually use green zuchini and yellow summer squash together for nice color. I add garlic and salt/pepper and use olive oil in the pan. It takes maybe 5 minutes to cook them.

Wagirl...

Thanks... that explains a lot.  I'm going to do the saute and add some onions too.    I just couldn't comprehend how you make them soft like noodles.     Can't wait to try soon.   

Honored Contributor

I love this whole concept, I made "noodles" with a cucumber this week.  Made sesame noodles with it, was so good and much less calories than with the fetuccine I used to use, in fact I had not made it in years

http://inspiralized.com/blog/

I actually upgraded from the Vegettie to a "fancier" one like the Cooks Essentials they had here recently.

Esteemed Contributor

Oops!

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

I love this whole concept, I made "noodles" with a cucumber this week.  Made sesame noodles with it, was so good and much less calories than with the fetuccine I used to use, in fact I had not made it in years

http://inspiralized.com/blog/

I actually upgraded from the Vegettie to a "fancier" one like the Cooks Essentials they had here recently.

l love making "zoodles" with my Spiralife, which I purchased from Amazon upon a recommendation from LoLa who is a super fantastic poster of recipes here.  My husband, a meat and potatoes person, will even eat a dinner made with zoodles, using one of LoLa's recipes.  Now that's saying something.

Jack, I like your idea of using cucumbers and could definitely picture myself creating an Asian salad with my zoodles, a bit of sesame oil, sesame seeds, and a bunch of other stuff thrown in.  Also, thanks for the link.

(The Spiralife I have makes spaghetti-like zoodles, as well as flat zoodles appropriate for creating a lasagna.)