Valued Contributor

Zucchini Shrimp Scampi - Traditional shrimp scampi made into a low-carb dish with zucchini noodles. It

'Zoodle' Shrimp Scampi

I'm a big fan of shrimp scampi but not of the pasta, carbs or calories. So, when I came across this recipe I was so happy! This is definitely a lightened up version with BIG flavor. The zucchini 'zoodles' soak up all the juicy goodness and still keep that little 'bite' that you need. You won't miss the pasta for one minute. Plus, I just love using that veggie spiralizer..lol

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less, to taste
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds (4 medium-sized) zucchini, spiralized
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in chicken stock and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer; stir in zucchini noodles until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.

Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan and parsley.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the recipe Lola. I was maybe thinking to roast the shrimp in oven using a pan you can also use on the stovetop.....olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Once they are cooked, remove them from pan and place pan on stovetop and add the other ingredients and then add back the shrimp.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi iQue! You're very welcome. Thank YOU for that great idea of roasting the shrimp. I think that would take this to another level of goodness!

Have a great day,

Esteemed Contributor

I love shrimp scampi and this recipe sounds great! But what is the ""veggie spiralizer""?

Valued Contributor
On 2/3/2015 kittymomNC said:

I love shrimp scampi and this recipe sounds great! But what is the ""veggie spiralizer""?

Hi kittymomnc! It's just a little gadget that turns vegetables into spaghetti like noodles or 'zoodles'. I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond but I've seen them at CVS and Walgreen's too.

Here is an example:

Trusted Contributor
On 2/3/2015 LoLa said:

Hi kittymomnc! It's just a little gadget that turns vegetables into spaghetti like noodles or 'zoodles'. I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond but I've seen them at CVS and Walgreen's too.

Here is an example:

Thanks so much for posting this delicious sounding recipe (I think I will prepare this for Valentines Day) and the gadget to make zoodles. I have made 'spaghetti' with spaghetti squash too many times and everyone loves it. Can not wait to try this !!!

Honored Contributor

This sounds really good. I have long coveted that big machine at Sur La Table that creates spirals. This little gadget makes more sense. I will look for it.

Honored Contributor

Oh Yum! LoLa...thanks!

I'm going to BB&B this weekend for a new ice cream scoop...so I think a veggie shredder is in order too! Love those coupons!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/3/2015 LoLa said:

I love shrimp scampi and this recipe sounds great! But what is the "veggie spiralizer"?

Here is an example: Smile

Thanks, LoLa! Are there any other veggies that you use it with, other recipes? I have all three stores within a couple of miles - I'll be checking it out!

And Pie1993, I saw a recipe on Rachel Ray one day using spaghetti squash and I forgot all about it. I need to look for my note, because it sounded really good!

Frequent Contributor

I purchased the GEFU Spiralfix Spiral slicer from BBY with coupon. I just preferred the compact design over the Paderno . I pre-ordered this book from B&N yesterday http://www.inspiralized.com/cookbook/ and got a bonus pack from the site of extra meals and meal plan. Can't wait to get the book as I really like the site .